86 monte carlo ss fuel tank for efi 800-1000 hp range tt

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
You can. You might need to modify the pickup in the tank that you're going to repurpose. Also, it would be best if you were make a secure method of attaching the return line.

81cutlass - calling Jake. Jake modified his sending unit to make solid connections. He has pics in his build thread for the GP 2+2. Perhaps he can direct you to some photos.

I welded a -6 fitting into the front side of the tank and attached a line inside the tank that directs the return flow away from pickup, but it was a pain in the butt to get the line installed. The next time I do this I'm going to make the entire deal on a plate (4"x4" or so) of flat 12 gauge steel and cut a hole in the front of the tank and have the plate contain the entire apparatus. But you can use the pickup as long as it's at least 3/8".

One issue you need to address is having the pumps staged. Originally, I tried running two AEM380's at the same time and returning through a -6 line. The -6 (3/8) return couldn't handle the flow - I created a small bit (sarcasm) too much fuel pressure and blew the factory plastic truck rails apart haha. The engine ran for about 15 seconds on initial startup and then kaflooey - gas every where :doh: It was definitely a fire extinguisher moment haha.

I believe a -8 return would've resolved it, but I was too committed to the -6 return at that point. And FWIW, I still have the -6 return and stage the pumps. Works great (no kidding). I can see in the datalogs when the 2nd pump comes on via a small spike of about 5psi of fuel pressure and then it levels out as fuel demand goes up. I don't need the 2nd pump on the street because I never make more than a 5 second hit and rarely have the boost turned up on the street.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, you just need something that works reliably. Can you attach a picture of your sending unit or attach a link to the sending unit?

EDIT : I missed Duke's Holley solution. That would work great, but be sure to be sitting down for the price I'll guess.
And here’s the tank, planning on running 10an fitting and feed to the front. Think that should be ok?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
And here’s the tank, planning on running 10an fitting and feed to the front. Think that should be ok?
-8 will feed 1000hp, -6 will work for staged pumps on return. Don't let 64nailhead make you second guess it. He might overthink things. 😆

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Damn.. we may just be related. I def over think everything. Hate doing things 2x 🤦🏼‍♂️
Running 2 340s with my previous setup I was running about 25psi more through my regulator than running staged, I could dial down to 15psi with both pumps, so even through the regulator fully flowing 2 340 AEM pumps I had 15psi free flow restriction.

Spec your injectors for a 43psi base pressure and stage your pumps, you won't have flow issues.

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
Running 2 340s with my previous setup I was running about 25psi more through my regulator than running staged, I could dial down to 15psi with both pumps, so even through the regulator fully flowing 2 340 AEM pumps I had 15psi free flow restriction.

Spec your injectors for a 43psi base pressure and stage your pumps, you won't have flow issues.
Perfect info. Thanks again. I’m far from this part though. Just received my pistons AGAIN. And they were wrong 🤦🏼‍♂️. Trying to get suspension right and tank correctly mounted so my wife won’t kill me. Frame off in front deiveway and boxes in the livingroom.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
-8 will feed 1000hp, -6 will work for staged pumps on return. Don't let 64nailhead make you second guess it. He might overthink things. 😆

Damn.. we may just be related. I def over think everything. Hate doing things 2x 🤦🏼‍♂️

My supply line is -12. I gave myself room to grow haha. I was thinking of maybe running methanol from the 17 gallon fuel tank, that way I can spend $200 for fill up.

Just kidding. When I wnet to get -10 stainless braided PTFE they local vendor didn't have any, so ......... I wasn't going to try to get by with -8. Needless to say, my supply line is like a small log under the car and that thing is NOT flexible haha. When I relocated the flex sensor over the winter I had to neck it down to -10.

The living room comment made me chuckle - just let her know that your 'living' vicariously through your build and that's why they refer to that room as a 'living room'.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
My supply line is -12. I gave myself room to grow haha. I was thinking of maybe running methanol from the 17 gallon fuel tank, that way I can spend $200 for fill up.

Just kidding. When I wnet to get -10 stainless braided PTFE they local vendor didn't have any, so ......... I wasn't going to try to get by with -8. Needless to say, my supply line is like a small log under the car and that thing is NOT flexible haha. When I relocated the flex sensor over the winter I had to neck it down to -10.

The living room comment made me chuckle - just let her know that your 'living' vicariously through your build and that's why they refer to that room as a 'living room'.
Lol. You have room to grow to a pro mod running methanol.

• Haha

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022

hoping my local guy has the damn 10an lines. havent even gotten there spent the evening re instsalling the frame to the chassis. I cant find the info in the 3 bolts for the steering gear. I belive you had that info and shared it.

About the livingroom, man shes right. house is a hot mess and parts everywhere . a frame off restoration in your front yard is not tidy. lol

• Friendly

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Now isn't that picture of that modified sending unit something to behold and consider? That would have been the cure to my fuel delivery issues with the Van's FI. Ah well, there is always the Monte and that would fit my Monte Tank.

Nick

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
I’ve bought mine from an eBay seller in Connecticut. Quality pieces. He’s one of the few that makes them with a -10 or -12 fitting.

If you need the link to him, then let me know.

View attachment 203244 View attachment 203243 View attachment 203242
AAAAnd im back. This looks lot like what i have but now im trying to mount the pump. so there is a pre filter and a post filter. so far the only place i have found to mount this is basically on the rear bumper support though idk that this is a "safe" place for the pump. for the sending unit i had them weld a 6 or 8 an bung on the original pickup to be my return the other 2 tubes i let open for vents. How did you mount your pump? pre and post filter? any pics?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor