MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Someone say buick 350?

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I did say Buick 350 but the original poster is in California, not allowed. Having an Olds 260, 307, two 350's and 403 in my 88 Cutlass, so far the stock 350 has been the most fun. The 9.6 to 1 350 was the fastest but had pinging issues and the 403 felt the fastest but had overheating issues. This 350 even has one slightly low cylinder but still accelerates like a Rocket😉 compared to the 260 or 307. Good thing he only wants to cruise. Of course he can't even legally put on good exhaust which basically leaves him even if he found another 307, the terrible, power killing exhaust crossover and single exhaust. I sure hope the swap was done somewhat right or it may never pass emissions or run right.

Reactions: 1 user

Albert714

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2020
Anaheim ca
Hello everyone heads up my car is running now turns out a cable came loose from carburetor I drove it to work today
But I’m still having the same dam issue with my battery light and oil choke like flashing and dimming out
I realize when the battery light is on that’s when my alternator is actually charging because when it’s off it doesn’t charge fusible link to alternator is good any other suggestions

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Back to the cat delete issue 231 V6. If I were to delete the cat (or use a dummy) Is there any benefit? If I were to leave the smog pump operational is that a considerable power suck? Are modern cats less restrictive?
If I’m not mistaken the air pump (smog pump) has valves with tubes that Go directly to the converter, so if you were to delete one or the other, it would result in neither one functioning as intended, if they are both still able to do that right now. I can’t say for sure but I would assume that the newer style converters would be far less restrictive. You could see a performance increase by removing it, since at its age it could be semi-plugged up but the quickest and easiest way to find out is to remove it and clamp a straight pipe in. If you decided to reinstall it, that could get ugly since the factory pipes are going to be stainless and most exhaust shops typically only have a standard mig welder, which doesn’t do so good welding stainless

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If I’m not mistaken the air pump (smog pump) has valves with tubes that Go directly to the converter, so if you were to delete one or the other, it would result in neither one functioning as intended, if they are both still able to do that right now. I can’t say for sure but I would assume that the newer style converters would be far less restrictive. You could see a performance increase by removing it, since at its age it could be semi-plugged up but the quickest and easiest way to find out is to remove it and clamp a straight pipe in. If you decided to reinstall it, that could get ugly since the factory pipes are going to be stainless and most exhaust shops typically only have a standard mig welder, which doesn’t do so good welding stainless

the air pump only works during warm up to inject fresh air into the manifolds to dilute the rich exhaust

Last edited:

Fernie365

Apprentice
Apr 8, 2020
Murrieta,CA
What’s up guys I’m having this issues with my 86 regal v6 engine 231
Turns on fine I can rev it no problem once I start to drive I can put the pedal to the floor and the car is barely moving any suggestions or where to start ?
Any advice would be appreciated as I still can’t find an honest mechanic around my area anaheim ca
What’s up brotha. Just checking to see if you had found out what was wrong with your car? I’m out in Murrieta,CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor