86 SS Paint on Hood Cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I hate waxing my SS because each time I maintain the paint I notice new flaws.
The middle of the hood has 2 -3 sq ft of tiny cracking in the paint - 1/4" long wavy lines. It's only up close when I can see them.I know the nose and possibly one door was repainted but judging by the stone chips it may be original. or at least an old repaint. The question is: did GM have a paint problem that shows up as cracking several decades later? Or could this be a repaint that is now failing? The area seems to be in the middle of the hood - possibly heat from the engine caused cracking - it has a hood insulator that seems to be fairly new indicating it may not have had one installed for a time. It's difficult to take a pic but you get the idea.
P1140438.JPG

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Looks like lacquer checking. My 85MCSS was the same. GM painted with lacquer back in the day. Had to strip & repaint, can't/shouldn't paint over lacquer. I've heard that you may be able to fix it, but would probably come back. I only had it on the flat surfaces, hood, roof, trunk.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor