86 Supreme Brougham build and pics- new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh77

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
Wisconsin
New here, but not to cars or G body Cutlasses. I'm an auto tech by trade. I've got a couple other non GM toys too. I've had an 85 supreme and an 86 442, but it's been a few years, so I'm glad to have a G body again. They're all but gone here in Wisconsin. I just picked up this 86 Supreme. The car was painted about 12 years ago and rarely saw daylight since. I've got a 71 Olds 350 to build this winter backed up by a TH350 with an 8.5 442 rear end. I'm just getting the minor cosmetics up to snuff before I pull the drivetrain, stuff like T-Top weatherstrips, scored an H/O scoop etc.. I plan on running 15" chrome super stocks and getting the ride height down where it belongs. I'm after a nice strong cruiser. Just wanted to intro myself in the Olds forum and toss up a few pics with more to come as work progresses. It's good to see these cars have the following they deserve.
als1541.jpg

als1551.jpg

cutlass.jpg

cutlass010.jpg

als156.jpg

cutlass005.jpg

cutlass006.jpg

wow, and he came to us with pic's. Nice lookin cutty. Welcome to the forum

hey you should enter that picture of you drilling the hole into our "picture of the month contest"!

hey nice car and welcome to the site

you must be a stronger man than i!
i would have such a hard time drilling into such a cherry looking hood!

I have the Lauren hood scoop almost identicle. I just finished mounting it to my hood. I cut a hole under it and have a breather sticking up into it. My open element breather is surrounded by a foam circle that seals to the hood and the back of my scoop is cut out. So she gets all fresh outside air no hot underhood air. I had this on a previous Cutlass that got wrecked. I still have to replace the foam and hit the bolts washers nuts & any bare metal paint then I will get some pics. What size tires are those? The 8.5 is a great upgrade. Check out www.robertpowersmotorsports.com & www.oldspower.com. Bob with AC, PS, PB, pump gas 455, 200-4R, working lock up, 3.73s & Q-jet ran a 12.3@110 & got 15.0 mpg still tuneing when his car was stolen. Quiet cheap safe eazy fuel system. Another under recognized benefit of gbodys thanks to the GNs. Before being wrecked my first version, an 88, with the Cad motor ran a 12.5 @ 110 and managed 17.0 Hwy.

yourownself said:
you must be a stronger man than i!
i would have such a hard time drilling into such a cherry looking hood!

I made a cardboard template to mark holes, worked great. A couple beers took the edge off. :lol:
cutlass001.jpg

Vern said:
I have the Lauren hood scoop almost identicle. I just finished mounting it to my hood. I cut a hole under it and have a breather sticking up into it. My open element breather is surrounded by a foam circle that seals to the hood and the back of my scoop is cut out. So she gets all fresh outside air no hot underhood air. I had this on a previous Cutlass that got wrecked. I still have to replace the foam and hit the bolts washers nuts & any bare metal paint then I will get some pics. What size tires are those? The 8.5 is a great upgrade.

I've thought about a setup like yours, sounds nice. The cars got 235/ 70 14
BFG's on it now, they're like new but old, I don't trust them. I'm going to run 235/ 60 15 front on 6" rims and 255/ 60 15 rear on 7" rims.

I run 235/60/15s on factory 15x7s on both cars now. The 255/60 still works well on a 15x8. I did not add that the intake is 3" taller than stock and that I have a 1" spacer under the carb so the air breather sticks up into the scoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor