87 442 the way they should have been

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I didn't get any pictures but I got something done. Eric was on another cleaning spree so that used a large part of the day however, I pulled my seized 455 out. Put the scatter shield and mounts on my bare block and stabbed it in. My plan is to get the car ready for a motor before I get a motor ready for the car. My rear housing is in green primer in the booth at work it's getting a black base clear paint job Monday morning. And will probably get assembled next weekend. Tomorrow I need to do a little work on Eric's truck for him then I can do some more for me. I was tired and didn't eat all day so I forgot. I'll get you some tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I forgot to mention I ordered some umi bushings for the upper rear arms on the rear. They came in Friday. The car has heim jointed adjustable upper arms and boxed lowers already so I'm just going to brace them and call it good.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Sorry guy's I've been busy! Not much progress on the car but still going. The 8 3/4 rear is blasted etch primed and painted I got the gasket for the pig and the Axel's . Eric gave me 11" brakes off a Dana so besides parking brake cables I should have everything to put it together. It's going in with the 4:10s because there all ready set up if I want to take it on a long trip I can throw the open center in with the 3:23s it's supposed to be extremely cold here this weekend maybe even snow so I'm not sure what is going to happen but something will.

Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ok guys I took you some pictures today. Here's the block in the car for mock up.
KIMG0172.JPG

Everything looks a little crooked because the right rear tire is flat again. The point of the mock up is for the floor tunnel the drive shaft and a few other things. There's going to be a few things getting done a little better this time around like weld the floor seam where I cut off the pinch weld for header and scatter shield clearance many years ago.
KIMG0173.JPG

And here's my 489 sure grip with 4:10s buried on the bench it was fresh built for a car installed and never used so I'm just going to clean it and stuff it in.
KIMG0176.JPG

I may paint it with cast blast for an aluminum look
KIMG0175.JPG

I gathered up the rest of the parts for it but I need to give the housing a good cleaning first but I slid the Axels in with the plastic bags on them just to see them. I guess I'm a little weird like that. The housing is painted cromax base clear and don't look bad better than spray bomb anyway and the Dana 11" brakes will except gm cables and lines
KIMG0174.JPG
KIMG0171.JPG

And if I paint the center cast blast I'll get a vinyl decal for the back of the housing that says W-27 just cause some people won't like it LOL
The rest of the day was consumed by 2 other projects, cleaning up and organizing

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I was ordering parts for something else last night and ordered a set of rear control arm braces for this. I just figured if I'm going to be there anyway I may as well put them in when I change the rear. I'm tired of doing things over and over

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I got a little something done today besides order parts for the new truck. I went out to the building and put my rear together. Still waiting for my control arm braces to come.
KIMG0230.JPG

KIMG0231.JPG

I can't get over how big the 11" Dana drums look on there
KIMG0232.JPG
KIMG0233.JPG

And that there is what my interpretation of a 1987 W-27 LOL
KIMG0234.JPG

If you don't like it now your going to hate it when it says W-27 on the housing.

Last edited:

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well it's been a while but Lauren wanted a posi and gears for her car and I knew Right where I had one so out with the old.
KIMG2041.JPG

I'll probably throw the noisy 4;11s in the trash but the summit carrier has never missed a beat so I'm giving it to her and one of the guys at the building gave her a set of 3;73s to put it in with. And so for me it's under with the new!
KIMG2039.JPG
KIMG2040.JPG

For now it's just under there I'll bolt it in and check shaft length next weekend and I'll finally be able to figure out what rims I can run. One of the guys gave me a set of center line 15x8 rims to try not my favorite rim by any means but if the shoe fits run it! LoL I had to cut the parking brake cables but no big deal they were original and with a manual transmission I want that to work so I should probably replace them anyway.

Reactions: 8 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Up early this Sunday. I'm going to embark on a parts mission! As I've mentioned before getting what I need from yards around here is not as easy as you may think. So today I'm stealing the wife Subaru and headed 2 hours and 50 minutes into Pennsylvania.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
We're back home the trip was more good quality time with Lauren. And I got what I needed.
14154.jpeg

There a little crusty but I got them complete even took the brake line brackets off the frame. The rotors pads and bearings look to have been recently replaced so I'm hoping they will be good enough for mock up and I can make it a roller again with some kind of brake pedal before I go to crazy with new parts. Eventually I want to go with the corvette brakes anyway but if this used stuff works it's going on for now.
KIMG2071.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor