87 dash plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The originals were "hot stamped" and the chroming was very fragile and easy to wear off. It appears these are a decal of sorts, like shiny chrome mylar tape. Which might be better as if it wears you can replace it.

Reactions: 1 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
The originals were "hot stamped" and the chroming was very fragile and easy to wear off. It appears these are a decal of sorts, like shiny chrome mylar tape. Which might be better as if it wears you can replace it.
I did ask and they can also chrome the shifter slot and gear select. I’m going to send a set to be refinished soon.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It appears they may re-do the laminate piece that goes on top of the shifter plate, etc., when they refurbish the panel faces, so I'm wondering if it would make more sense to vacuum metallize/chrome plate the entire panel without the gray piece, paint the "black" on the surround where the slots are raised, leaving the top edge chromed (similar to the quad headlight surrounds on the G-body Calais/Salon), and then install the laminated piece on that. The chrome should last much longer than weak hot stamping, although vacuum metallizing isn't the most durable, but chroming plastic is a beeyotch. Hot stamping is more for decorative use than it is durability, but it's cheap and easy to do when you're doing a million at a time. Just look at nearly any daily driver G-body dash with original dash plates. Heck, my 85 came from the factory with flaws in the dash panel chrome edging.

Regardless, the final product looks really good. Pricey AF, but I guess when you have no other real options, it's the price you gotta pay to get things restored.

It got me thinking, with my plotter cutter, if I can find some chrome mylar adhesive sheets and cut out decals to fit...hmmm.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
It got me thinking, with my plotter cutter, if I can find some chrome mylar adhesive sheets and cut out decals to fit...hmmm
Excited Friday GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor