87 El Camino 200r4 Transmssion

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcoslick33

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2015
SoCaL-AZ
Ok so my TH200 transmission when out I want to upgrade to a 200r4. My El Camino came stock with a floor shifter I called a couple transmission shops to do the work for me since I work 2 jobs and don’t have the time to do it myself. And there talking about I have to do all these changes like get the gears adjusted on my rear end,that I’m gonna have to change out my starter, that the crossmember won’t work, the lock up wire is different, just all this what I think is BS please anyone who has done this swap can u please lay it out for me thanks in advance. Oh yeah my car has a 305 engine.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I did this swap in my wagon 25 years ago. Flexplate is identical, which means the starter will not need to change. The floor shifter may not let the 200-4R go down to 1st. 'D' is now 'OD'. But really, this is no big deal. The biggest hassle is setting up the transmission to lock up without a computer, but there are kits and some parts go inside the trans. The crossmember will need to change as the mount is farther back, and the driveshaft needs to be shortened 3". Don't forget to set the TV cable correctly, which may require a different bracket on the engine. The transmission shop better know how to do that or they will be rebuilding the trans. Others will chime in with more detail. Go to my profile page for details on setting up the lockup feature.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Get the gears adjusted in the rear end? Wtf?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The OP will see when he gets the transmission hanging in there. I still have the original one I used in this conversion. I am trying to recall if I just cut the pad back on the stock TH350 crossmember, It's been a while.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The driveshaft is the same, I have done the swap with my old boss to TH350, was the common swap. I just looked at the wiring on my 86 TH350C, the same wire used as a 2004R, would bet the 200C is the same. The TCI lock up kit works fine, is adjustable to vacuum but should for $100. Yes, your 2 something gearing won't be ideal but should work and get very good highway mileage. I have used my 2004R cross member with a TH250C, just needed to drill a couple of holes.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The 200-4R is a good combination with 3.08 and numerically higher rear end ratios, if performance is your goal. Keep in mind that the 1st gear ratio is 2.74 (about the same 2.48 as the TH350/250 that was used for decades with rear gears down to 2.14).
If you are not already down the road on the transmission, pause and consider the 700-R4. It was designed to get big barges off the line and still give good gas mileage by using a 3.06 first gear, then similar ratios on up. A 700-R4 works well with ratios well into the 2s, so no additional expense to change the rear end - you can drop in a 'lunchbox locker' yourself without pulling the differential out, assuming everything else is behaving.
The lockup kits for the 200-4R and 700-R4 are similar in price and complexity. Jegs and Summit sell drop-in 700-R4 crossmembers, while the 200-4R versions are more complicated with fewer options. The driveshaft on a 700-R4 will definitely need shortening 3". I have one in my garage from the last time I swapped one. But if yours is old and rusty, you'll want to go with new U joints anyway, so give it some thought.
Both transmissions are about the same size, although the mounts are in different places. The 700R4 is much more common, and probably cheaper to build. Its downside in performance applications is that the jump from 1st to second is pretty large. Plus, if you go with lower gears later, you'll blip through first gear pretty fast, negating the big advantage. A rear axle rebuild generally ends up in the $900-$1200 range once you pay for the labor to do the swap. 7.5s are not that strong, so if you go this way, plan on spending $1500-$2000 towards a Ford 9" conversion or hunting for a rare 8.5 GN/HO axle (still $1500 to find and then upgrade one).
Conclusion: think about what else you plan to do down the road. What is 'enough'? If you want to make your stock ride snappier and will not go race with 600 HP, then you might want to keep what you have and go with the 700-R4.

Last edited:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
The 200-4R is a good combination with 3.08 and numerically higher rear end ratios, if performance is your goal. Keep in mind that the 1st gear ratio is about the same 2.48 as the TH350/250 that was used for decades with rear gears down to 2.14.

First gear in 2004r is 2.74. just stating that for clarity sake.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I agree on the 700R4 for this car. Slightly cheaper to build and more places get them right. Plus it leaves more 2004R's for us BOP guys.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ok so my TH200 transmission when out I want to upgrade to a 200r4. My El Camino came stock with a floor shifter I called a couple transmission shops to do the work for me since I work 2 jobs and don’t have the time to do it myself. And there talking about I have to do all these changes like get the gears adjusted on my rear end,that I’m gonna have to change out my starter, that the crossmember won’t work, the lock up wire is different, just all this what I think is BS please anyone who has done this swap can u please lay it out for me thanks in advance. Oh yeah my car has a 305 engine.

What they told is most likely not BS. You need a TC lockup kit (about $80), you need a crossmember (about $200) or welding skills, and you will want to swap the rear gears or put on much larger diameter tires, otherwise OD is almost non-useable. You won't need a starter, but will need a converter. Questions answered.

Unless your 305 is wildly built, a stock 200-4R with a warranty is what you need. A stock stall converter is also needed and somewhat reasonably priced. You should be able to get out of all of this minus the rear gearing change for less than $2500 if you buy a rebuilt trans with a warranty. If you have a core that needs a stock rebuild, then subtract $800-1000. I will say though, your comments give me the impression that you do not trust your mechanic/shop. If this is the case, then I'd not jump into this. Finding a transmission shop to properly rebuild a 200-4R requires a guy with gray hair. The new stuff as compared to 35 yr old stuff is not the same. You need a trustworthy shop or to do it yourself. I see you're in Southern California - contact Bowtie Overdrives and ask them for a reputable shop in your area to do what you're asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor