87 El camino not starting

Robert64

n00b
Aug 25, 2024
Hello, I replaced the battery in my 87 el camino now it will not even turn over. Barrery is good, and all the grounds are clean and bare metal contacts, but it still will not tun over. Yesterday it turned over fine with the old battery. I am hoping its something stupid instead of having to drop the old starter. Any good experience with this same problem?

Have a look through some of the recent "no crank", "no start" discussions here for some good info.

Very simplest test is to make sure (at the starter solenoid) when you're turning the key to the CRANK position that the PURPLE wire is getting 12v using a test light or meter. Likely need a second person to do it, but that is pretty much your starting point. If that wire isn't getting it's 12v from the IGN SWITCH then you need to fix that, if it is then you're dealing with bad starter, cable(s) or battery problems.

If you don't have 12v at the starter solenoid, using a small screwdriver or jumper wire you can jump it out to test the starter, battery cables and connections to confirm they're all good; then troubleshoot that wire coming from the IGN switch. Info and diagrams are in some of the other discussion threads/posts if you need.

HTH

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor