87 ls with differential of a v6 is that why i cant spin 22"

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
so my differential came of a v6 monte carlo looked up the vin on the car and it was of a v6 are those the same as the montes with v8??? i have a 700r4 on my monte now and i cant feel it take off like the guy said it would is it because the diff?? what gears do those v6 have and what should i switch the gears out to i wanna be able to spin my 22 and take of quick i see my boys spin 24"!!!!!!! with a stock 305 and stock 200r4 why am i not spinning!!! my 305 has balls but is it my gears thats holding me back???

Aaron88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
Indpls, IN
Re: 87 ls with differential of a v6 is that why i cant spin

Could be a couple things, Tourqe is were your power to break the tires loose comes from and a stock 305 didnt have much.. Those big wheels just make it harder for that 305! Another thing did u upgrade your brakes when went with bigger wheels? In my opinion you sound like you want power so grab yourself a 350 and with minor mods you will be replacing tires with ease

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA

I'd get that 700r4 built up 1st and foremost, if you really want to keep it. My homeboys and myself were burning through those weak transmissions constantly back in the day. Now we only use th350s or th400s. Your gear ratio shouldn't hinder you from burning out on lil ol' 22s, but an old worn out 305 will. One of my partners had a built 305 in his box Chevy back in the day, and he used to roast his 26s with the thick truck tires. He also had 4.11 gears in his rear axle. You should seriously consider upgrading to at least a 350.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Qdub24 said:
I'd get that 700r4 built up 1st and foremost, if you really want to keep it. My homeboys and myself were burning through those weak transmissions constantly back in the day. Now we only use th350s or th400s. Your gear ratio shouldn't hinder you from burning out on lil ol' 22s, but an old worn out 305 will. One of my partners had a built 305 in his box Chevy back in the day, and he used to roast his 26s with the thick truck tires. He also had 4.11 gears in his rear axle. You should seriously consider upgrading to at least a 350.

but my rear end seems like it sucks the guy at the transmission shop told me to switch out my rear end when i put in the 700 so that i can tell the difference and get a faster take off but yeah im looking into building a new 350 some time this week with my tax money because them 22" arent spinning or should i just beef up my 305 to 300hp??? stock 350s make about 250 right???

Aaron88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
Indpls, IN

If you get smaller gears you will notice an increase in takeoff naturally because your wheels are going to be spinning faster. But torque is whats going to make your wheels spin not hp. You need good old fashion low end torque. find yourself an early 350 (high nickle) slap you a nice intake and carb, hei dist. and u will do just fine. Take about $700 and u can get yourself a nice little 350

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Aaron88SS said:
If you get smaller gears you will notice an increase in takeoff naturally because your wheels are going to be spinning faster. But torque is whats going to make your wheels spin not hp. You need good old fashion low end torque. find yourself an early 350 (high nickle) slap you a nice intake and carb, hei dist. and u will do just fine. Take about $700 and u can get yourself a nice little 350

coo so jusnk my 305 then but the motor runs strong good motor should i just advance the timing???

Aaron88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
Indpls, IN

Dont junk it sell it and get some money back from your new engine purchase. it should sell. And dont just advance you timing set it were it should be. If your timing is off then you get plug knock thus losing power along with other problems

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

ERIC87442 said:
put a locker in the rear end too, one wheel wonders are lame :lol:

With a gut-less 305, one wheel is a lot easier to spin than two!

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN

Your gear ratio is most likely 2.41. Putting in different gears will help some, but like everyone else said, the 305 is whats holding you back. If there is nothing wrong with it, and youre only concerned with spinning your tires, I would just drive it like it is for a while and save up for a better motor. Save yourself some tire while youre at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor