BUILD THREAD 87 SS, 305 is the one who knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
picked up a canopy at harbor freight since i have a infinite amount of free time as of late and got to work on things i've been avoiding for some time.

1. made the wire harness for my retrosound newport radio, they don't offer it for our carson their site its listed for jeeps but it works just fine with a install kit and wire harness from schose at walmart.
2. installed the seat belt retractor block off things as mine are broke anyways, got em from mikes montes.
3. slapped in the retrosound radio, took a while to figure how to pair my phone but now its automatic, sounds way better than stock radio more bass from speakers i had in the car
4. installed foam speaker cups, no idea if it sounds better for it but it makes me think it does and that's all that matters
5. pulled the cigarette lighter out and swapped it for a dual usb charge port from amazon, was same size as cigarette lighter hole, crazy easy install.
6. installed a window racer kit hoping it would fix the windows that i get bored waiting on, it did.
7.installed trunk carpet kit
8. trunk lid carpet
9. dash mat, it's not great but it's better than the ugly crack in the middle of my dash till i get a new dash.
IcRaWZ6.jpg
\

pkO7aTv.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
did a lot of little things to the car this summer and did a lot of learning about the issues i've been having.

the misfires and running rich that i couldn't tune out were caused by a crap ignition system. it wasn't running rich it was just running so bad it seemed rich. so taking out the "msd" distributor that the crate engine company claimed it had and replaced it with a 6AL2 box blaster2 coil and pro billet distributor immediately fixed the hesitations stumbles and rich issues also swapped to the copper core plugs a heat range colder msd recommended. the car is a totally different animal with just that change.

we added the fuel pressure regulator back in and further heat wrapped everything, this allowed me to notice when the car stalls out it drops fuel pressure, a relay in the system had been overheating this entire time causing it to shut off which always made me think it was vapor locking. got the 2step rev and launch control setup just need to hook the laptop up and program it now.

added a wilwood 2lb residual pressure check valve that keeps 2 pounds of brake fluid pressure on my vette brakes it made a world of difference in pedal feel and makes the brakes so much better all the brake lines need heat wrapped next and i still need to heat wrap the headers.

w79u5BS.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
well after at least a year of complaining that my car stalls out after a half hour drive i realized my fuel pump wire harness uses a thermal breaker and in my rush to hear the engine make bald eagle noises i ziptied it to the a part of factory wiring on the passenger fender liner that was near the headers.so when the headers got it hot it shut the car off. thats a dumbass moment there lol, lesson learned. that said ive got a ton of heat wrap on things under hood that i put on trying to solve that issue lol. was nice to just go drive my car for over an hour without worrying about when it was going to die. next project is this gigantic cold case radiator, derale trans pan and cooler and more Dakota digital bims for my cluster for trans temp, fuel pressure and nitrous pressure.
5s7XKk7.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
well after at least a year of complaining that my car stalls out after a half hour drive i realized my fuel pump wire harness uses a thermal breaker and in my rush to hear the engine make bald eagle noises i ziptied it to the a part of factory wiring on the passenger fender liner that was near the headers.so when the headers got it hot it shut the car off. thats a dumbass moment there lol, lesson learned. that said ive got a ton of heat wrap on things under hood that i put on trying to solve that issue lol. was nice to just go drive my car for over an hour without worrying about when it was going to die. next project is this gigantic cold case radiator, derale trans pan and cooler and more Dakota digital bims for my cluster for trans temp, fuel pressure and nitrous pressure.
5s7XKk7.jpg
Looks like you changed the rims? A huge improvement IMO. Those factory SS rims are really nice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor