87 ss tail lights not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if no one has played with the wiring near the fuse box then I'd check the connection of the harness near the tail lites to make sure it's a good connection. If someone has spliced into the wire for a trailer harness that will most likely be the problem. The aluminium wire will break if slicked into, it's terrible wire

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
if no one has played with the wiring near the fuse box then I'd check the connection of the harness near the tail lites to make sure it's a good connection. If someone has spliced into the wire for a trailer harness that will most likely be the problem. The aluminium wire will break if slicked into, it's terrible wire

ummmm it didnt look to loose from the fuse box, but i should double check, when it enters that tube it looks good nothing that i can see cut, does that wire go to the trunk? will i be able to see it? i will check the harness in the rear too..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought you had an El Camino. If you have a trunk the connector is close to the side light on the left side. If you have a El Camino this is this is the wiring diagram.

RearLightsEl-Camino.jpg

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
I thought you had an El Camino. If you have a trunk the connector is close to the side light on the left side. If you have a El Camino this is this is the wiring diagram.

RearLightsEl-Camino.jpg

No im sorry, i should of told u i have a 78 malibu know, sold the el camino last yr :cry: ....i did see a connector to the left side if im standing in front of the trunk, but havent looked closer...i will when i get home...but the brown wire is located there right?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That's where the brown wire is. Try a test light on it to see if the power is getting to the back. Sometimes the connection is poor and needs to be cleaned. I assumed from your name you had an El Camino....

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
That's where the brown wire is. Try a test light on it to see if the power is getting to the back. Sometimes the connection is poor and needs to be cleaned. I assumed from your name you had an El Camino....

Ok so today i checked the brown wire from fuse box all the way to the rear trunk, it all looks good nothing cut, good connection , all tight and secure, my next thing to do was to check the fuse, lights up like a charm, so should i remove me tail light and test light the connections where the bulbs go on the turn of the key? Or just turn on my head light and test? I need to get this fix or i can drive it at night since the tailights dont turn when lights are on :cry:

Here the diagram i used for the fuse:

CD7F95FA-499C-4EF3-99D3-B90F86C637AE-2514-000001927C4A4EC2.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd turn the lites on, check to make sure there is power to the brown wire at the connector on the fuse box and if that's good do then I'd check the connector in the trunk. If you have power at the connector in and out then the problem is between that connector and the lites. All the lites at the rear are grounded by the same wire so if the brake lites are working then you don't have to be concerned about the ground

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
I'd turn the lites on, check to make sure there is power to the brown wire at the connector on the fuse box and if that's good do then I'd check the connector in the trunk. If you have power at the connector in and out then the problem is between that connector and the lites. All the lites at the rear are grounded by the same wire so if the brake lites are working then you don't have to be concerned about the ground

Ahhh ok i see, i will do so when i get home...know what if theres no power to the brown wire from the connector from fuse box??

What i think it probley is, when i washed the malibu, i think water gets inbetween the tail lights and maybe go to my wires, all the connectors have been changes, cuase there was alot of corrotion when i first got it, i went to junk yard and grabbed like 6 and changed them all....i will have to remove the tail lights and ck there too....but i will keep u posted. :mrgreen:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
aluminium wire is bad for corrosion, you can't splice into it and it can break if you bend it too much. I'm changing that harness this winter and making my own with copper wire. That diagram you have for the fuse box is a nice one. Thanks

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Ponticgp:

You were correct!! The dayum brown wire that goes to the trunk was loose, so i guess factory had it sliced in with the trunk light, and it wasent even connected, well it was, but not tight, it fell apart when i touched it, so i took out the wite from the trunk light and ran brown to brown and its all working correctly, and for some reason my interior lights come on know??? Lmao :rofl:

Thanks pontiacgp::your the best!! Know i can drive at night..

Here is where it was loose from:
E00E48D4-C05B-45BB-A37D-E843D93EFEB1-3290-00000247E020A3B1.jpg

Lights on:: HURAYYYYYYY!!!
6BC85298-97D9-47FD-A3EF-5CCE7321AEBE-3290-00000247E6B31C4B.jpg

799E714A-B426-4FC7-87DA-0F6F7904ECEC-3290-00000247EF17EE54.jpg

3262B960-2196-4980-B806-E361E4423024-3290-00000247EA8DBE56.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor