87 TR floor pan questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcats

n00b
Dec 23, 2007
Anyone out there with experience regarding floor pans? My 87 TR had a window leak and water wicked up over the years in the rear pans. They are mostly pinholes and a couple of quarter sized holes. I'm currently in the process of a frame off restoration and my goal is to bring the car back to it's factory condition. Any help would be appreciated. Here is a link to the pics.

http://gallery.mac.com/lcats#100032&bgcolor=black

thank you in advance

Luke

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I can't help you with actual technical knowledge about floor repair, but I can tell you that there are reproduction floor pans available for the G body now. They're available through Year One and other suppliers.

Lcats

n00b
Dec 23, 2007
Thanks Clean, i was actually looking at that, but i was wondering if there is another way, these rear pans are still structurally sound, but if i have to i will weld in new pans. I was thinking more like, POR-15 or glass.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
if you are going for a true factory restore have the metal replaced. anything else may bite you in the rear in the future. personally if i looked at a car and saw a half assed repair job i would be wondering what else was done that way. if i doing it i would hit the salvage yard and find a rust free pan, cut out the section you need and pay the body shop to do it if you dont have a welder, but thats just me. it should not cost too much

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have done the glass thing in the past for pinholes and surface rust and it does work well. It all depends on your budget and time. New floors are the best solution, but not easy. If I were not restrained by time or money, and the car was mine, I would replace the whole pan with one from a good car. This way, you get all of the support braces already attached as well as the seat brackets, etc and it can look factory if you do it right. It may actually be easier than buying reproduction pans because you would not need to transfer the braces to the new pan and there would be less welding.

Chris Borson

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2007
regalman is right just have the small areaes properly patched, butt welded and ground clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor