88 MCSS 35K

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Pffft. My 1985 442 has been waiting for me to get going on the restoration for 36+ years now... :( I started amassing the GM parts almost immediately after I bought it, and I've yet to install a single NOS part on it yet. It has it's own bank account for the restoration even. Which is about what the MSRP was for the car. I suck at this.
My self and few members can take apart that 85 in no time for you down to the frame. I will not remove the front and rear glass that's on you.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
People do realize they're getting roughly around 180 HP with most of these G-bodies....right? 200 maybe if it's turbo'ed. A lot of coin it seems. IMO, it's probably 10K over where it probably ought to be, but then I'm simply speculating.

Maybe I'm missing something.

The HO 305s can be bumped up quite a bit in N/A form. Just a F body dual snorkel aircleaner adds 10 HP.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My self and few members can take apart that 85 in no time for you down to the frame. I will not remove the front and rear glass that's on you.
Well, darn. That was exactly what I was going to have farmed out- removing front and rear glass. So, I guess you won't be hired. :)

Thinking about it, I think with a range of 12 different sized sockets and corresponding wrenches to hold the bolt heads on through bolts, and maybe a couple different screwdrivers, you can dismantle a G-body to the frame in a weekend by yourself.

But you can't just do that. Need to document/photograph and bag/tag everything as it comes apart. So there's that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Thinking about it, I think with a range of 12 different sized sockets and corresponding wrenches to hold the bolt heads on through bolts, and maybe a couple different screwdrivers, you can dismantle a G-body to the frame in a weekend by yourself.
Yup :D

But you can't just do that. Need to document/photograph and bag/tag everything as it comes apart. So there's that.
Been there done it 30 years ago with two A bodys 68 and a 69 olds. When do you want me to start and you need to buy a case of NOS GM zip lock bags to make it official.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Sure he/they can.

They offered to take it apart, not help put it together. :devilish:

Besides, are you the kind of guy who numbers the backs of the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle so you know where each part goes without the challenge? Where's the fun in that? :banana:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
Well they are not made anymore and become more rare ...
Still have the 1980 I went to high school in- its been rebuilt, stolen , recovered, renovated, rebuilt and in storage again... I restored it 8 years ago and its my dad's pride and joy... drives it once a month - airs up tires, turns it over to get oil going then connects ignition and drives it around. He chucles when people ask if he would sell it - he just smiles and says its in family trust sorry.

he has a 1976 4 door power wagon 80k miles long bed I am eagerly wanting to restore. He and my daughter want me to keep it original not even a touch screen radio, LOL

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
sadly its a perspective of the purchaser - its supply and demand short supply with a demand ups the price...
Value is just a perspective of what someone is willing to pay for something...
these were obscured by the 60s and 70s car craze and wen all those muscle cars dried up focus shifted to the G-Body as cheap now they are not cheap anymore,

I paid $2k for my '86 9 years ago its was a basket case (engine and trans but does not drive and is not able to drive at any rate) but still more than I would have paid 5 years earlier. now a basket case is $6k. Add in the Rate of inflation at 5% annually, arguably could be higher...
My Dad paid $800.00 for the 1982 MC - bad trans and engine knock back in 1986 I too am shocked at how quickly the price is going up.. not long ago a SS Monte was in reach at $7k now they are in the $20k range, it is crazy at how quickly - but time will tell in might just be a fad and die down after a while ... who knows

I am looking at some rare cars - investment wise - a 2007 to 2014 Jaguar XKR are way under valued for what they are.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Investment-wise and cars are two terms that usually do not match up unless lightning strikes. Not saying it can't be done, but NOBODY ever considers the long-term care costs associated with owning a 1:1 scale model car. It's not as easy as it seems. If you're flush with cash and you see the car of your teenage years and want it badly, hey, it's only money. Spend it the way you want to.

Nobody knows what's going to be popular or high in demand in later years. But one of the biggest issues with these high dollar G-body sales is, some dorkhole with a clapped out 83 Monte SS with rusted out floorboards and eroded frame will see this sale and now demand 20K for his basket case just based on some of these one-off outlier purchases for some of these cars.

I've never owned an 83 H/O, but wouldn't mind it one bit. Came close a few times, but never did. Other than that, I can't think of another G-body I would go out of my way to want to get. Not saying I wouldn't like to have that 88 MCSS, but not at that price. I wouldn't pay it. I'd probably push a 25-28 spot max, and that is if it looked like it rolled into the showroom back in the day.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor