‘88 Monte SS Nose Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripH88ss

n00b
Oct 20, 2021
Does anyone know of a way to tighten the gap between the hood and nose cover other than replacing a saggy nose?

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Do you have any pics? I just went thru installing the nose of my 85. It was painted etc. a few years ago and I just got to putting it on because I didn't want to scratch it when I was doing my LS swap. I thought it would be an easy 1hr job, had it on/off a few times, took also 4hrs to get it right. Still not 100% happy with it, but I think it's as good as it will get. Might be able to give some advice.

TripH88ss

n00b
Oct 20, 2021
Do you have any pics? I just went thru installing the nose of my 85. It was painted etc. a few years ago and I just got to putting it on because I didn't want to scratch it when I was doing my LS swap. I thought it would be an easy 1hr job, had it on/off a few times, took also 4hrs to get it right. Still not 100% happy with it, but I think it's as good as it will get. Might be able to give some advice.
I don’t currently, it’s my father’s car and I haven’t had a chance to get any good pics. I think we’ll just loosen and try to re-align it and then go from there.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Gaps on a G Body is like the gaps between teeth; all over the place. My 87 had all sorts of gaps when new, after total restoration it still has the same gaps. Worse after the aftermarket cowl hood and fiberglass trunk lid.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If the outer seams of that cover are tight against their matching fender edges and everything else lines up, then about all you can do is visit the hood bolts and back them off just enough to tug the hood forward a little. There is a little room for forward motion in the holes in the hinge to hood mounting flanges but too much tug will take the rear edge of the hood out of alignment with its matching curves in the fenders at the windshield. Getting all the gaps to look even on a Monte is about as easy as jacking up a house with warped floors and missing joists in an attempt to level it. (Think that the house might be easier)

Nick

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The SS should have brackets like this mounting it to the fenders.
th

If it is sagging above the headlights there used to be a place that made these supports for that but now I think you would have to fab up your own.
OIP.9gQpzl9tv17hquw0AG6gDwAAAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor