9" for street only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
so now I'm a dick cause I don't support street racing....that's real nice of you. I have family driving on the streets who I care about.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
pontiacgp said:
so now I'm a dick cause I don't support street racing....that's real nice of you. I have family driving on the streets who I care about.

You missed the point of my post.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think he just worded his racing response the wrong way. The 9" is great, especially with a lot of torque. For your 7.5 rear it needs 28 spline axles, girdle cover plus a 7 5/8" posi, new or used gears, shim kit and solid spacer. Can you set up gears? A used Monte SS complete rear should be fine, in good shape, for a decent price.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
i have heard of guys actually complaining about their cars slowing down after putting one in because it takes more power to get the car going b/c of the location of the pinion to the ring it sits low in the carrier. IMO i think it is over kill.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would say a 9" is probably overkill but at the same time it is an upgrade that you would probably only need to do once and if somewhere down the road you decide to upgrade the power or you end up going to the track and throw some slicks on it, you already know your rearend can handle the abuse.
Like a lot of things I do on my car the upgrades are also for piece of mind, I don't like things breaking.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
565bbchevy said:
I would say a 9" is probably overkill but at the same time it is an upgrade that you would probably only need to do once and if somewhere down the road you decide to upgrade the power or you end up going to the track and throw some slicks on it, you already know your rearend can handle the abuse.
Like a lot of things I do on my car the upgrades are also for piece of mind, I don't like things breaking.
Everything can break.........LOL even expensive parts

MrRabbit24

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2012
Tulsa
well there is a monte carlo ss for $1,000 on craigslist i am pretty sure it has the original rear i can just buy that and get it powdercoated right? see i have heard that aswell that 9" takes alot of power to turn but would it work better if i supercharge the 383? i mean its going to be everyday driver so gas is not a issue i just want the right componets to not have to buy new stuff later on that will cost me thousands. From what i recall the ss rear came with 373 gears and its a 7.5 aswell so what diffrence would it make to my v6 rear end other than the gears in it ,other than just fuel economic on the v6 rear and ss more speed.

link to see the monte i am talking about.
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/3674313289.html

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
MrRabbit24 said:
well there is a monte carlo ss for $1,000 on craigslist i am pretty sure it has the original rear i can just buy that and get it powdercoated right? see i have heard that aswell that 9" takes alot of power to turn but would it work better if i supercharge the 383? i mean its going to be everyday driver so gas is not a issue i just want the right componets to not have to buy new stuff later on that will cost me thousands. From what i recall the ss rear came with 373 gears and its a 7.5 aswell so what diffrence would it make to my v6 rear end other than the gears in it ,other than just fuel economic on the v6 rear and ss more speed.

link to see the monte i am talking about.
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/3674313289.html
and it would be a plus if it is posi!!

MrRabbit24

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2012
Tulsa
383 stroker 350 turbo and 9" Ford rear 3.90 gears I ordered it for 3 k assembled

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor