9 inch in a G-body Question/Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
Well, I got my hands on a 1979 F-150 9 inch. My cousin has it. And he is goin to sell it to me for $150. I checked it out today. It seems to be ok. It is the regular casting Chunk (not the WAR or N). So I have questions. And I have two options

1st which is my orginal idea. I buy the 9in Housing with axles, from the company thats on ebay for $715. And use this chunk and have me a complete 9 inch

2nd is making this housing work. By cuting the housing to correct lenght. Get the correct axles. And put the proper attach points on it.

Does anyone have any resources for me. Or any prior experience with this. That could be helpful

RUSTY OL BU

Apprentice
Sep 4, 2009
Fort Fun, Indiana
Check with some gearheads in your area. Someone around there does housing shortening i am sure of it. Around here it will run a few hundred cheaper than buying a housing online. It will also save you Shipping those things are HEAVY..... Piece the rest of it together.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
I think I goin to try and fab the rear-end. On ebay they have to weld-on mounts for the upper control arms. Since the Housing to isnt cast I can weld on it

And I alrdy have a source to shorten the rear-end. Its just a question of do I want to do it. I think Im gonna

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I hope it's ok to cross post to another forum, if not please go ahead and deleat this.

I did the 9" for my 83 El Camino, (I started out with a correct width housing). Doing you own brackets are not to bad if your patient and a decent welder.

I did a write up over here:

http://elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=28724

GBody9Inch.jpg

9inchswaybar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor