a 396 with a split block!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coffee table base?

i know!!! drop it on Wile E Coyote's head! :itchy:

Seriously, unless this is the numbers matching block to your Nova, Chevelle, Camaro, or big Chevy, it is not worth spending the money to repair it. 396's are not that valuable as compared to say, a 427. You can probably find a buildable 454 from a truck for the same money you would spend to fix the crack in the block. Besides, the crack will never be as right as it would be if you had a virgin block. There is a process called something like metal spray welding that is used to fix cast iron, but it is not cheap. For the weight penalty of the big block, it simply is not worth spending serious cash to have only 396 or 402 CI. You could build a 406 more economically and use modern heads to more than make up for the inherently larger ports of a big block. Plus, it's lighter, handles well and will transfer weight to the back more effectively than the 396.

bloodline said:
It is quite obvious that you have never owned a big block.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I like the coffee table one! Thats a good idea

bloodline said:
It is quite obvious that you have never owned a big block.

Nor would I want to-there's no point to it in anything but a serious drag car or a tow vehicle. Running 12's with a big block is kinda like kissing your sister. Sure you can do it, but it's kinda wierd, pointless and stupid. Running 8's however, is a different story. When I want an 8 second 3500lb street car then I may have some use for it. The only real use for one that I would have is if I had an original big block Chevelle, Nova, Vette or Camaro, in which case it's cool just because of what it is. Then again, when I have $30k+ to spend on a car, I'll let ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor