A/C line source

chevy042

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 5, 2024
Middleburg, FL
Where are you all getting your new A/C lines from? There seems to be a bit of a variation in design when searching online, and I see 4 seasons no longer makes them for G bodies (at least my year anyway), as I called them to confirm.

I have an 85 Olds Cutlass 442 w/307, stock A/C system, and I can’t find a set that stands out as being correct.

Where are you all getting your new A/C lines from? There seems to be a bit of a variation in design when searching online, and I see 4 seasons no longer makes them for G bodies (at least my year anyway), as I called them to confirm.

I have an 85 Olds Cutlass 442 w/307, stock A/C system, and I can’t find a set that stands out as being correct.
You won't find anything new. Do you have the old hose assembly? Too bad you don't have a pre-85. You can still get a hose assembly from them.

You can go to an industrial hose shop and they can make you some new lines. I did that with my 84 before. They took my old ends, and the muffler, and recrimped new hoses in place of the old ones. Gave me a new sponge rubber sleeving and I couldn't be happier with it. Was cheaper than going to buy new lines at the dealership.

Just an option.

Reactions: 383_StealthRam
GM 25526129.

Unfortunately the website lists the part number as obsolete towards the bottom. I fear the order would be cancelled after ordering as I’ve had that happen before. It’s worth a shot though.
You won't find anything new. Do you have the old hose assembly? Too bad you don't have a pre-85. You can still get a hose assembly from them.

You can go to an industrial hose shop and they can make you some new lines. I did that with my 84 before. They took my old ends, and the muffler, and recrimped new hoses in place of the old ones. Gave me a new sponge rubber sleeving and I couldn't be happier with it. Was cheaper than going to buy new lines at the dealership.

Just an option.
This is what I was afraid of. Yes, I have the old hoses and this will be the route I take if I can’t find any NOS readily available…at a decent price. Doubtful. Thanks for the guidance!!
Did you google it? There r abunch of places that list them.
Yes, many come up but most are not entirely correct.
This is the one I bought for my 86' Regal and fits 307 but I ended up making my own lines for my SBC install.
I would assume these would work for an 85 then? 🤷🏼‍♂️. I think I’ll order these and if they don’t work, I can always return and have mine rebuilt as 69hurst suggested.

Thank you all for the replies!

This is the one I bought for my 86' Regal and fits 307 but I ended up making my own lines for my SBC install.
I just recently used this one on a 1986 MCSS (with L98 TPI swap, serpentine belt setup) that I rebuilt the entire AC system on, and it was a perfect fit. I have the same on mine from a few years ago, see pic below.

Of note is if you found an NOS one from back in the 80's/90's it was probably still made for R12 refrigerant, and not R134a which is "technically" a different barrier type hose that is less likely to leak.

1725672518287.png

Reactions: pagrunt
I just recently used this one on a 1986 MCSS (with L98 TPI swap, serpentine belt setup) that I rebuilt the entire AC system on, and it was a perfect fit. I have the same on mine from a few years ago, see pic below.

Of note is if you found an NOS one from back in the 80's/90's it was probably still made for R12 refrigerant, and not R134a which is "technically" a different barrier type hose that is less likely to leak.

View attachment 245275
Would these lines work with a non-serpentine setup? Those look great.

Would these lines work with a non-serpentine setup? Those look great.
AFAIK that line will work with most all the R4 type AC compressors, however depending on which compressor you are attaching it's inlet/outlet manifold too (back of compressor) it will use different types of sealing O-RINGS, or SEALING WASHERS and/or spacers/extenders to mate up properly. That particular hose (4S 55479) is for the 307 V8 Olds application, as you see in my pic it also fit fine for my serpentine pulley equipped SBC setup. The compressors are in relatively the same (passenger upper) location for the 307Y/9 engines, as they were for the serpentine style TPI engines.

Are you replacing the compressor itself, or is it the original R12 unit? That would likely have the original style O-Rings seals embedded into the compressor ports. If you replaced the compressor with a modern day replacement (4 seasons, for example) it may use the sealing washers and their should be instructions, and the additional parts in the kit similar to below included with the compressor, and/or the hose assembly IIRC.

I also recommend you pick up the complete o-ring kit if you're changing them all out with the system apart/open, it's cheap enough to have on hand so you don't have to go searching locally for an o-ring.

A good video that goes into detail about the Compressor Suction/Discharge port seals/o-rings is the following:

Reactions: 565bbchevy

Honestly, I thought the 85-up hoses were defunct. My bad. Shows you how much I pay attention.

Factory "Parker" brand hoses on 1987 Cutlass are rated for R12 or 134. I haven't even looked at the 85 so I don't know. I was actually surprised to see this. I had to peek up under the sponge rubber to see it. I'll have to take a pic of it. I kept the hose for some darn reason. The compressor let loose on my 87 and I had NOS setup for it anyway, so....

Interestingly, it appears this 55479 will fit and function in the place of the 22525317 which superseded to 25526129, although it doesn't look exactly like original. Same overall length but theres more metal line near the accumulator on the 85. In all cases, if you buy a new aftermarket or find an NOS hose, it'll have a bright metal connector nut at the accumulator. The factory nuts are a black phenolic-like material. Also, the muffler can on the 4 seasons is shaped a little differently. But it will fit your 85. If you just HAVE to have 100% correctness, get yours re-hosed. A good hose shop can hook you up and make it look factory again.

AFAIK, the "long pipe" version was used on 85 models only. But it's functionally the same fit.
1725708029646.png

86-88. Again, these hoses are interchangeable with 85.
1725708246891.png

My 6-87 parts book shows 85 only as having 22525317, and the 86-88 as having 25526129. The 1991 parts information shows it as the superseded number...

1725709985970.png

Well, looky here. Rockauto.com has them for 86-88 Cutlass. I don't know WTF that other hose is about. And use that discount code for 5% off, you can get it for $68.20. If I needed one and not worry about 100% correctness, I'd buy it. Oddly, if you look for this hose under the 85 model year, it doesn't even exist.

1725709601750.png

• Informative
Reactions: 383_StealthRam

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor