A crappy task

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Mark/Joe,

If you think you will ever do another transmission, get the jack from Harbor Freight. It's the best thing they sell. It truly is a sweetheart. I can stab the toploader in Dad's Galaxie in under 10 minutes with it. Very safe and very convenient. Not expensive....
https://m.harborfreight.com/automot...450-lbs-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html
image_23989.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I saw those and others but they only go as high as what I have now, some even less. I can't see if it has a tilt at the top but mine does. That came in handy getting the tail past the exhaust pipe. But anything that gets a transmission off your chest is a good move. Driven you reminded me of a super bad dilemma I caused myself many years ago. I had painted some Mitchel fishing reel spools and hung them on snelled fishing hook/leaders by my boiler to cure. I went down to check on them with my youngest Daughter in my arms. As I tested the paint she squirmed and as I grabbed her I got hooked in my hand by one of the hooks. So there I am with her in my arms and I'm handcuffed to my boiler piping. I had to bite with my teeth through a 20lb leader to escape. Then I had to get the damn hook out. NOT FUN! Sometimes I wonder how I managed to live this long. :doh:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I saw those and others but they only go as high as what I have now, some even less. I can't see if it has a tilt at the top but mine does. That came in handy getting the tail past the exhaust pipe. But anything that gets a transmission off your chest is a good move. Driven you reminded me of a super bad dilemma I caused myself many years ago. I had painted some Mitchel fishing reel spools and hung them on snelled fishing hook/leaders by my boiler to cure. I went down to check on them with my youngest Daughter in my arms. As I tested the paint she squirmed and as I grabbed her I got hooked in my hand by one of the hooks. So there I am with her in my arms and I'm handcuffed to my boiler piping. I had to bite with my teeth through a 20lb leader to escape. Then I had to get the damn hook out. NOT FUN! Sometimes I wonder how I managed to live this long. :doh:
Mark,

It does have a tilt. If you look in the picture you can see a bolt and wing nut on one end of the saddle. I like this particular jack because it is very low profile when down and uses a scissor/screw mechanism so it won't bleed down. I know you already have something so probably not worth it for you but it makes the job a lot easier.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It does have a tilt
That's good, you really need it. My other concern would be HF's habit of using crummy wheels. They sell really good ball bearing wheels but they never put them on anything. You have to upgrade yourself. Otherwise that Jack looks like a great tool for the job.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That's good, you really need it. My other concern would be HF's habit of using crummy wheels. They sell really good ball bearing wheels but they never put them on anything. You have to upgrade yourself. Otherwise that Jack looks like a great tool for the job.
No complaint on the wheels yet. It seems really well made.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jared just be aware that HF ball bearings have a habit of falling out at the worst time. I was using one of their 3 ton jacks and the wheel actually fell off at a critical moment. Today after some time wasting running around I got the rest of the transmission apart. On a Saginaw you must remove the input gear cover to get the front bearing off. A snap ring holds the bearing in place. Remove it and then you can pry the bearing off. That allows you to tilt the main shaft enough to slide the entire assembly out of the main case. The trick is to not let the input gear come apart from the main shaft gears. If you do then the loose roller bearings fall out and causes you unnecessary work later to re-install them. Pushing the front slider over the teeth on the input gear helps to hold the gear in place . Once you slide the entire gear assembly out you can expand the snap ring in the tail housing that releases the main shaft/tail shaft from that housing. The pic shows how the whole shebang stays together for this operation. If you were changing synchronizers or something else then you would disassemble the rest of the assembly. Since all I needed to do was re-set the drive gear on the tail shaft I kept everything together. The second pic shows the little b*st*rd that popped off and caused all this grief. Luckily it looks OK and seems to be back in business. Another deluge is moving in tonight so I took the main case down the basement for work. I felt the cluster gear was a bit loose so I think I have a set of needle bearings for it in my stash. I hope that firms it up.
IMG_0913_zpswlolnvnz.jpg
IMG_0912_zpsye2dh1iz.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Deluge outside. Downstairs working on the bench I see that my clunking sound is probably the reverse idler gear. When the trans is cold and I start out in first I got a random clunking sound like rocks were loose inside. Pretty much went away as it heated up but not entirely. Not noticeable at speed but then I'm not exactly hanging my head under the car above first gear. So I set up the dial indicator and, wowsers, the play between the idler and cluster gear is .020". I thought maybe the cluster gear shaft bearings needed changing but they show only .0015" of play. The idler is bushed and nice and tight. Not much I can do about the idler play without changing expensive parts and to be honest I can't see any wear or defects on either part. Maybe the lube is too thick or too old but I use regular 90 weight with GM posi additive. When I flushed out the case some of it seemed like mud so maybe it deteriorated over the last 10 years. Not enough use is certainly a factor. Fresh lube is coming so I will see if that helps.
IMG_0917_zpsk4qj6fsn.jpg
IMG_0919_zpsi6hhdioz.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
i changed the 5 spd transmission and transfer case in a 1980 Toyota lifted pickup by myself the only thing it needs now is the drivelines, someone broke into his garage and stole a bunch of stuff like tools, parts, supplies. the guy that owns it has heed a stroke and the truck just sits there waiting. someone tried to steal the whole truck the other day and got busted by the cops. just backed up to it with a car dolly and was loading it on his trailer at night. the dog started barking and his teenage kid went out and confronted him the guy took off but we know who he is. thank God for security cameras.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I could have saved you a ton of work.

GPS speedo.

It's fun to see the insides of manual trannys though, so, carry on sir!!

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Will do. Raining again so I started rebuilding it on my bench down the basement. Over the years I also changed my rear gears from 2:73 to 3:23 and my tires from 225-75-15 to 215-70-15. Since the drive gear was broken I never changed the speedo driven gear so I popped my figures into several online calculators and they all were unanimous in calling for a 17 tooth gear. Now I have to find where my box of speedo gears went to. I will also double up on "O" rings on the speedo gear housing. That seems to be the first place to leak. OK I found the purple 17 tooth gear. After test fitting I see it is loose in the housing. The orange seal they use is very loose fitting and the circlip that holds it in is not even in a slot so there is a leak spot. I looked and found an AC "O" ring that fit inside the orange one and it really firmed up the fit. After this is all back together I will probably need a hand truck to get it up out of the basement- another down side of getting old.
IMG_0926_zpsraolulyl.jpg
IMG_0923_zpsrpx37fhk.jpg
IMG_0927_zpsixzgau0a.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor