A front swaybar brace, a good/useful idea?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I feel like the GP bar is basically doing the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I agree with 565bbchevy - I don’t see how that is more advantageous than the factory jounce bars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Probably not a good idea to induce more stress into the mounting bolts for the sway bar mounts. Probably why factory braces bolt into other locations. This brace would probably work better if modified into a Jeff bar for either the front or rear bumper shock mounts.

Reactions: 3 users

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
Ok, so I know that there are several against the brace, but i'll be one, let's say "kinda" for it. It's better than nothing. It'll do a good job, almost better than the grand prix bar at keeping the frame rails from spreading, and I only say that because the grand prix bars have the bend in the middle of them. Now this bar will do absolutely nothing to keep the frame rails from wanting to collapse together though, which is where the grand prix bar will help with even though it has the bends, only because it is a more substantial piece. I know I've read where some people have issues with space running the grand prix bar, and this along with the factory jounce bars would be a good compromise. I didn't look, how much is a grand prix bar going for these days? depending on price it might be worth just buying this, but if the grand prix bar is cheaper go with it instead.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I use the UMI triangulated front frame brace and I noticed a big difference. Easy bolt on too.

Reactions: 7 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I see I'm not the only one who don't see it as a positive add on. If it was a square or round bar I think it would make it a possible choice but being flat was what made me post this. Unless the flat design is ment for a ridged but flexible brace it might be a nice option. Being that I'm still tire kicking for the Jr. Mechanic I want to see what else there is out there to add to his future project that be an easy add on with a benifit. I do have a full set of OE front frame braces which I'll be helping him add.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
The F41 braces are pretty much the best and cheap way to improve the stiffness. GNX would be the next step up and box or add boxed areas to the C-channel areas. Depending on what you want to do with the car. Straight line, “Rally” ? Add front and rear frame braces of box tubing from across the bumper brackets. Poly body mounting vs. rubber mounts. All add to stiffness of the frame and some to the body flex. Many can be salvage yard picked and save money vs. parts magazine. Monte SS front and rear swaybars. Olds and Pontiac front frame and body braces. Money saved can go towards the new parts. Box in the OEM control arms instead of buying after market.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I made both of my jounce bars and GP bar out of rigid conduit, which is nearly twice as thick as the factory bars and I also made a crimper to put a nice crimp on the ends which I also used when I made fender to core support braces.
I feel like this set up made a vast improvement even over just having the stock set up.

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_20210704_213353257.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 13 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor