a good 4 speed transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i wanna get a 4 speed auto trans for my 78 elky. right now its a 3speed tr350. i got this buddy with a ricer and he keeps wanting to have a friendly race. whats a good 4 speed auto trans and a good 3.73 rear? could i get one from a junkyard and how much would it cost to build/rebuild? or how much would it cost me to do it myself?
any help would be FRIGGIN AWSOME! YAY ATHF:MFFT

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd go with a stage 1 200 R4 and they're not too expensive....the 700 hits a wall when it hits second gear

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
What does "ATHF:MFFT" mean?

I vote for the 200r4 as well. I have that in my Buick and it is a joy.

You ask what a good 3.73 rear is....I don't understand. Do you mean is the 373 a good rear? Or what is a better one....from and olds...chevy...etc.

A good one is one with a limited slip diff in it :)

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
pontiacgp said:
I'd go with a stage 1 200 R4 and they're not too expensive....the 700 hits a wall when it hits second gear

the 700 is fine until it gets into 4th gear (overdrive) but i wouldnt call it "hitting a wall" ..

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
whqt hitting a wall means is that the first to second shift is 'noticable' since the 700 has such a steep first gear.
a 200r4 has the same gearing (except obviously fourth) as a th350 so it has a better chance of keeping you in the power band than a 700.
also, 700's got stronger internals in 1989 and progressively more so in later years.

and by good 3.73 i am pretty sure he means what one is stronger (i assume) and that would be the GN 8.5 as everyone wants one. except that they were 3.42's lol
84 monte SS cars came with 3.42 posi 7.5 rears also.
if all he means is posi/non posi all 87-88 cars came with a posi (monte SS/442/HURST) but it was an option on the older cars.

help any? :)

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
transmission

i dont wanna really hard hit from first to second but i want good launching and decent to fair highway acceleration and 3.73 or what ever i said i was talking about the rearend gear, and no i dont have posi, i leave 1 nice line at the stop sign by my house. oh and are bf goodrich t/a's good tires for "stoplight drag" or just good for looks? oh and whats a good rear gear?
sorry for the the copy of last question im at werk and ive been up since 7am and now its 3am. kinda drunk on sleepyness right about now. thanx again. and athf:mfft is aqua teen hunger force:movie film for theaters. dont mind me im 26 going on 17...

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
83cut350chev said:
pontiacgp said:

the 700 is fine until it gets into 4th gear (overdrive) but i wouldnt call it "hitting a wall" ..

unless you get a shift kit...

beermonkey9417 said:
i dont wanna really hard hit from first to second but i want good launching and decent to fair highway acceleration and 3.73 or what ever i said i was talking about the rearend gear, and no i dont have posi, i leave 1 nice line at the stop sign by my house. oh and are bf goodrich t/a's good tires for "stoplight drag" or just good for looks? oh and whats a good rear gear?
sorry for the the copy of last question im at werk and ive been up since 7am and now its 3am. kinda drunk on sleepyness right about now. thanx again. and athf:mfft is aqua teen hunger force:movie film for theaters. dont mind me im 26 going on 17...

best thing you can do is hit hard from first to second, i have a turbo 350 with shift kit in it, and boy does it kick. i know you can buy a 3.73 rearend change kit and a posi locker for about 500 dollars, depending on where you buy it. most people from around where i live would tell you mickey thompson are great lookin' tires, never seen a t/a myself. i say all this because i am converting myself on my 86

BB Olds

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2007
Wi.
yea if you have an open rear just get a power trac locker they run about 300 bucks an gears can be had for 190

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor