A story from my early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Now this goes back to 1994 when I was in high school. The city I live in has a lot of gearheads and nice cars. And back then on Friday and Saturday nights down town was the place to be. We have a section that is a one way street for 3 blocks. The it loops and goes back the other way a block over. There would be people racing all night long. If you were cruising and heard some engines reving, that meant get out of the way because there was gonna be a race. Even the cops used to leave us alone (sometimes they even sat there and watched lol).

So me and my best friend at the time were out cruising. I was in my Monza and he was in his 80 Monte. Our cars were pretty mild (we were still in school), but still pretty quick. So we're cruising around and we park our cars to talk for a bit. My buddy is in his Monte and I'm talking to him through his window. And we are parked right across the street from an empty lot where all the hot rodders hung out. So year as we're talking all of a sudden we hear this voice yell "HEY YOU TWO!" I look back and there this guy who looks about 6'6" with long hair and moccasins walking towards us. And this guy just looked terrifying, and he was moving in pretty fast. Me and my buddy both look at each other and say "oh sh*t, what's this about?". When the guy get's up to us he says " a buch of us are going racing on some back roads. You guys can come with us if you want" We were both relieved, we thought we were gonna get our asses kicked there for a minute lol.

So yeah we went with them and were out there for almost 4 hours. Was a good night and met a lot of the local car guys that night. I don't think either of us even raced. We were to busy checking out all the other guys cars lol.

but sadly when the rice rockets started getting popular our cruise nights died. It just started getting good again the last couple of years. It's almost like all the hot rodders started new projects at the same time and finished around the same time. Because most of that old crowd has been coming back, and with better cars. Or maybe they just all got tired of all the rice on our streets lol.

great story, sounds like you guys need to grab your old stomping grounds back from the ricer crowd.

oldtinsmith said:
Early days?????.......Back in 1994?????.....Oh man are you ever making me feel old!!!!!.....I graduated from high school in 1964!!!!! :rofl:

Doug

wow, that's 7 years before I graduated and I thought I was old....thanks.. 😀

:rofl:

pontiacgp said:
oldtinsmith said:
Early days?????.......Back in 1994?????.....Oh man are you ever making me feel old!!!!!.....I graduated from high school in 1964!!!!! :rofl:

Doug

wow, that's 7 years before I graduated and I thought I was old....thanks.. 😀

:rofl:
Well, I was 11 years old when I graduated,,,Yeah, thats the ticket, what I said!! :rofl:

Doug

And just when I thought I was a part of the "older crowd" on here! Maybe turning 36 next month isn't so bad after all! :lol:

G-Body_Vet said:
And just when I thought I was a part of the "older crowd" on here! Maybe turning 36 next month isn't so bad after all! :lol:
36? I've got magazines older than you (Hot Rod, Rod & custom, Car craft, Popular Hot Rodding back to 1961)! LOL

Doug

oldtinsmith said:
G-Body_Vet said:
36? I've got magazines older than you (Hot Rod, Rod & custom, Car craft, Popular Hot Rodding back to 1961)! LOL

Doug

You should scan a few so us "younger guys" can see what CarCraft looked like printed in black and white :rofl:

It's really funny looking back at how many things have been invented over the years too. Although it was phased out by the time I started driving, I wonder how many people on here have driven cars with manual brakes, front drums, three on the tree, and manual steering? My first car was a '63 Impala so I know!

Let's not forget about records, 8 tracks, cassette tapes, rotary phones, beta VCR's, disco, HBO when it was a box with one button, remotes when they still had wires (and 3 buttons...stop, play &FFWD), Atari, CALL WAITING!, when owning a Walkman was cool, etc. etc. Wow how times have changed!

Cool story bro....ricers are a fad...nothing can replace american horsepower!
Heres one for ya.....When I was a kid, I lived in a fairly new neighborhood that backed up to a two lane highway that was down a big hill from my back yard and about 100 yrs away. In the summer, my dad and I would walk out in the back yard and sit on the hill and watch the local boys race down this flat, straight stretch of roadway that was perfect for racing. Sometimes, this guys would be bold enough to race before it got really dark, so we would actually see the cars rather than just the lights and the sounds. One night, this one guy, who had a really hot car w/ nice wheels, slick paint, raked, etc, was racing this old beat up clunk a junk. My dad said, "wanna bet on who wins this race?" So, naturally, I took the sweet car with the hot wheels. And sure enough, the old clunk a junk blew the doors off that pretty car. I never forgot the moral of that story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor