AC Compressor Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What is the speed of the ac compressor supposed to be in relation to crankshaft speed is it 1:1 or should the ac spin faster than that?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Million dollar question. Depends on number of pulleys and size, where it is driven from. Why do you ask?
I have never heard that question before

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am trying to come up with a way to add a pulley to drive a compressor on my Monte and it has to be in front of my current pulley set up otherwise there is no place to run it with my limited amount of room.
This is going to be a direct crank pulley to ac compressor set up.
My pulley ratio with my current set up 1.4 to 1 and if I add a smaller pulley it would be 1.1 to 1

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If I can somehow get a compressor hooked up to the engine then I will be running a Vintage Air trunk mount evaporator and a remote condenser with an electric fan.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I have never run into a compressor to fast or to slow issue, but, to slow may make for longer cooling time, to fast may make for less compressor life.
I would like to see the compressor pulley run closest to the engine as it draws the most load and less stress on the front main bearing.
Ford had an issue many years ago on that as I recall.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Most that l've seen the crank pulley is the same size as the balancer so say 8" but the compressor is only a 6", so with that l would say the compressor runs faster. So l guess the ratio would be 1:1.25.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Most that l've seen the crank pulley is the same size as the balancer so say 8" but the compressor is only a 6", so with that l would say the compressor runs faster. So l guess the ratio would be 1:1.25.
My crankshaft pulley right now is 7" and if I go with a new R4 that has a 5" pulley but the add on pulley if it works would 5.5".

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Either way it seems comparable. I think the only thing that really matters is if your going to be pulling crazy rpm's.
I would install an RPM switch to kill it at a relatively low speed since I shift at 7400+

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor