MALIBU Ac compressor

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Is this what you would get.

15-21764 Air Conditioning Compressor​

Hi 1979 Malibu coupe updated ac
Seems like I may need to buy a compressor.
Clutch is not operating.
Here’s the thing: every time I buy something it’s usually a swift purchase.
I promise to reach out to all the guys here and ask what they feel is the best.
Any wisdom for a newbie? Thanks. Dez

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Was this originally a V6 or V8 car?
The V6s typically used the axial compressor and the V8s used the radial. You can use either one with R12 or 134a. Just make sure you use the appropriate oil that is compatible with the refrigerant being used.

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Was this originally a V6 or V8 car?
The V6s typically used the axial compressor and the V8s used the radial. You can use either one with R12 or 134a. Just make sure you use the appropriate oil that is compatible with the refrigerant being used.
Hey, thanks for all the great information! I don't really know much about air conditioners, but I do know that my car has a V-8 engine. I'm looking for a new AC compressor, and when I search for "1979 Malibu Classic," I found one for $278 from AC Delco on Amazon.

Given that the current AC compressor in my car has a broken clutch, do you think this is a good option to buy? Ac delco 15-21764.
Got a new strong bracket on there now.

Sorry be so uninformed about ac. But the car is 🥵 hot !

Attachments

• IMG_6458.jpeg
    IMG_6458.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My car started off with a 305 V-8 and had the axial style A6 compressor using R-12. I converted to a radial style/ pancake compressor using R134A. I purchased a new AC Delco radial compressor and I'm not very pleased with it. I think I would have rather gone with a Sanden compressor setup.
Btw, the old axial type compressors were pretty bulletproof but were performance robbers.
Here's what I'd go with if I can do it again. https://www.originalair.com/81-88-chevy-g-body-v8-rotary-compressor-upgrade-kit-134a-stage-1

I also purchased my AC Delco radial compressor from Amazon.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There's regular duty and light duty 80s style R4 compressors. Most of the stuff you get today is light duty. If you REALLY want a decent R4, you're further ahead by buying an old-school all black replacement unit made in the 80s or 90s, and changing the front seal to a double lip seal and the case O-rings to neoprene if using for 134a or similar. The case o-rings are notorious for leakage. Of course, if you don't know what you're doing messing with all that, hire someone who does.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor