MALIBU Ac compressor

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a new heavy duty R4 from 4 seasons on my Regal and it works fine.

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Hello Dez,

There are two types of R4 compressors from the 80s: regular duty and light duty. Most modern replacements are light duty. For a high-quality R4 compressor, consider sourcing an old-school, all-black unit from the 80s or 90s. Replace the front seal with a double lip seal and the case O-rings with neoprene if using 134a or similar, as the original O-rings are prone to leakage. If you're not experienced with these modifications, it's best to hire a professional.

🧐Regarding your setup, I installed an AC Delco compressor along with a cold case setup, electric fans, and all new AC components. The technician who installed the compressor was different from the one who installed the other AC components. He informed me that my fan setup might not be compatible with the aftermarket compressor, causing occasional issues as the fans need to operate effectively. He suggested installing an in-cabin switch for my '79 Malibu Classic to manually control the compressor.

Is there a more efficient or intelligent solution for this setup that you could recommend?

Thanks,
Dez

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Regarding your setup, I installed an AC Delco compressor along with a cold case setup, electric fans, and all new AC components. The technician who installed the compressor was different from the one who installed the other components. He informed me that my fan setup might not be compatible with the aftermarket compressor, causing occasional issues as the fans need to operate effectively. He suggested installing an in-cabin switch for my '79 Malibu Classic to manually control the compressor.

Is there a more efficient or intelligent solution for this setup that you could recommend?

Thank Dez

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor