AC Keeps Shutting Off (Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
jrm81bu said:
How fast does the blower motor continue to run? Someone else mentioned( Blake442 maybe) that the blower motor will continue to run on low with the heat/ac off. Supposed to act as a vent or something. That is if i'm remebering any of this right, lol.

It runs at any speed I have any of the four speeds set to. The AC compressor issue was just them not tightening it so the belt was loose.I tell ya, I have the worst luck with mechanics. And I'm not liking the fact that they got rid of the fuse and just ran a wire directly out of where the fuse goes. But all I have to do to that is move the wire to the back of the fuse box and reinstall the fuse right?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
[quote="1984CuttySupreme]It runs at any speed I have any of the four speeds set to. The AC compressor issue was just them not tightening it so the belt was loose.I tell ya, I have the worst luck with mechanics.[/quote]

Damn, no sh*t! Well that blows my theory on the ac problems.

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
jrm81bu said:
[quote="1984CuttySupreme]It runs at any speed I have any of the four speeds set to. The AC compressor issue was just them not tightening it so the belt was loose.I tell ya, I have the worst luck with mechanics.

Damn, no sh*t! Well that blows my theory on the ac problems.[/quote][/quote]

lol what was your theory? And also, I recall my AC compressor used to click on and off.... like the clutch would disengage and then pop on when needed, but now it seems like it just stays running constantly. Which is normal?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Sorry I shoulda put "my theory on why the blower motor would stay running". I'm not all that great with ac. No it's not normal for the compressor to stay running, it should cycle on and off. The low and high pressure switches(and possibly more items) control the cycling. To low pressure and the clutch won't kick in. Too high and it will also kick off. Since it's running all the time now, then maybe it has something to do with the high pressure switch. Or possibly the last shop hot wired it to run all the time, hopefully not.
Hopefully some of the other guys will help out more with this.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Indeed on a constantly running A/C compressor. I believe damage to components could happen from too much pressure, but if there isn't enough coolant in the system it may also run a lot more than normal. Best place to start there is probably to have it checked for the level of coolant. Far as the blower motor running constantly, do you mean no matter what speed you set it at, that it continues to run at the same speed, or it won't turn off when you slide the selector to "off" all the way to the left? Also, you mention a wire down at the fuse box... how exactly is it run... is it just across the two fuse terminals, or is it to another location, like a switched ignition source or constant 12v source? I'm a little confused there.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
It appears he cut a wire to the high-speed relay... :wtf:
I'll have to double check the wiring diagram & look at how everything is wired from factory again before I come up with any solid ideas. In a nutshell though, that shouldn't have to be wired like that. If there's no fuse it adds a fire hazard.

86Olds442

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
The A/C compressor running constant like that is normal under certain circumstances. Hots days, blower on high, these will almost certainly keep it running. To try and get it to cycle, run it on the lowest blower setting when it's coolest out and see if it will cycle. I agree that the wiring should no be run directly from an non-fused terminal at the fuse block. I also noticed the high speed wire cut from the relay. Sitting here, my thinking is that the wire running from the fuse block is heading to your blower. Try unplugging it and see if it stops. Short of wiring diagrams, this could be difficult to track down and correctly fix. Hope this helps some.

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
Doober said:
I'll have to double check the wiring diagram & look at how everything is wired from factory again before I come up with any solid ideas. In a nutshell though, that shouldn't have to be wired like that. If there's no fuse it adds a fire hazard.

And that wire leading directly to the positive terminal on the battery can't be good. Not too sure where that leads to just yet. This AC setup just keeps getting worse & worse lol. The AC remains cold but I notice large beads of condensation on the dryer, it used to get so cold it would look like an ice cold can of coke, just a light haze of moisture. So I'm assuming it's not getting as cold as it should.

86Olds442

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
1984CuttySupreme said:
Doober said:

And that wire leading directly to the positive terminal on the battery can't be good. Not too sure where that leads to just yet. This AC setup just keeps getting worse & worse lol. The AC remains cold but I notice large beads of condensation on the dryer, it used to get so cold it would look like an ice cold can of coke, just a light haze of moisture. So I'm assuming it's not getting as cold as it should.

All of that depends on the amount of humidity in the air. The fact that you are getting moisture removed indicates that it is working, but you'd need to pressure test or temperature test it to see how well it is really working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor