AC Keeps Shutting Off (Photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If he did a load test on the battery and alt then it's probably fine. Sounds like a short slowly draining juice. Sometimes it can be a slight short not enough to blow a fuse, but will drain the batt.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Bonnewagon said:
If he did a load test on the battery and alt then it's probably fine. Sounds like a short slowly draining juice. Sometimes it can be a slight short not enough to blow a fuse, but will drain the batt.

I didn't see where he did an actual load test. Have you seen the other thread too?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Naw, he said "light meter" so I assumed the mechanic did a load test. If he didn't shame on him. If not then he should start right there and get it done just to verify the batt and alt are OK. And hook up all the grounds straps. Yeah the other topic with the grounds was giving me a headache. I still think he could have a tiny short draining power. I've seen as much as 3 volts leaking to ground just from an acidy covered battery.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Bonnewagon said:
Naw, he said "light meter" so I assumed the mechanic did a load test. If he didn't shame on him. If not then he should start right there and get it done just to verify the batt and alt are OK. And hook up all the grounds straps. Yeah the other topic with the grounds was giving me a headache. I still think he could have a tiny short draining power. I've seen as much as 3 volts leaking to ground just from an acidy covered battery.

Oh ok, I thought I mighta missed something. I'm not exactly sure what that "light test" is. He could definetly still have a draw somewhere. It just kinda hit me when he said the blower was slowing when he gave it gas, then wouldn't start after shutting it down. Seems like it was running off the battery alone.

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
For the light test they were just checking to see if any current was being drawn while the car was off. It lit up slightly so they said there is something drawing power but not enough to make the car go dead if ran regularly. I'm kinda stuck right now, I put the battery on a charger again last night but it's still dead. I'm using a different charger from before so hopefully the charger is just not working properly. I'd hate for the battery to be bad since it's only 2 weeks old. Once I get it running again I'm taking it to a different shop. lol

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Man it sounds like you're havin' all kinds of fun with this car :lol: I'd definitely get the battery & alternator issue straightened out, then see if it still has the same issues. If it does we can go from there, it's hard to diagnose a seemingly odd electrical issue with a poor electrical system base. Once the alternator/battery are in proper working order and if it's still melting that fuse like you say, there's likely a short in the circuit somewhere.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I see, ya that kinda test does nothing for the alternator. I hope this battery charger isn't working for your sake. However i did say that continueing the cycle of charging it then driving it til you have to charge it again would kill the battery. Hope you get this worked out soon.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeah, do a real load test. You need to start with a fully charged battery, and it gets tested with no load on it. Then with the car running, a load is put on the system and it measures what the alternator is doing about it. That will tell you right away what you have to begin with. If all checks out, then start searching for the culprit sucking your juice. It looks like this.
Battery_tester.jpg

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
Well I picked my car up from the shop today. The charging system seems a lot better now. The AC was working fine for a few minutes until the compressor started locking up and squealing. Then I noticed that when I turned off the AC, the compressor shut off but the blower remained on. So it's back to the shop tomorrow, unless you guys have an idea. I noticed they ran a wire out of where the fuse for the AC goes.

Another question, because I switched to a 4.1 Buick motor, do I need a different AC compressor? Or are the compressors for the 3.8 oldsmobile motor and the 4.1 buick motor the same?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
How fast does the blower motor continue to run? Someone else mentioned( Blake442 maybe) that the blower motor will continue to run on low with the heat/ac off. Supposed to act as a vent or something. That is if i'm remebering any of this right, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor