Adding a aftermarket deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
hey everybody i am just brainstorming here but I am kinda having second thoughts on stripping my car of all its stereo. What would I need to add a stereo (I have no wires no nothing) second can I hide my stereo in the glove box no room on the dash. I do have a single din kenwood I would like to use

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Why do you have no room in the dash for a radio?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So I am guessing no AC or heat.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
No ac but I do have heat from a little heater box I bought from summit but that is control from a switch by the headlight switch

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you have no plans of using your glove box I would make a plate to mount the radio and the gut the glove box so only the door remains and then you would just open the glove box to access the radio or you could just modify the door and mount it to that.
I have my MSD 7AL-3 mounted directly to my glove box door but my radio is mounted under the dash in the console.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Kind of something like this
upload_2016-5-2_21-40-23.jpeg

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
I was thinking about putting in my glove box would still want to have it a bit useable. I have to find a used box since mine is black and mint. Anywhere else you could think of? Maybe have the volume control be centered at the cig light spot and just have the light glued onto the knob and then run the aux and phone charging cord down into the glove box?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you don't have power seats you could probably mount it under one and leave your glove box in tact.
Or maybe trunk mount it but you would need some sort of wired remote to control it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
^^ what he said. You can toss it under the seat or in the glovebox.
I have a newer stereo in the Monte and all the music I listen to is MP3. I rarely if ever even touch the head unit itself anymore. I even switched the head unit on my boat last weekend to get something with remote control and be mp3 capable. Seems all the music I listen to is stored on a SD card or USB thumb drive nowadays. We use the little remote control to scroll the playlist and adjust the volume. If you don't need CD then the typical head unit is half the depth of a regular single din radio anymore. Below is the cheapie unit I threw in the boat. It rocks the boat pretty good. I have the orig GM radio in my DD and only listen to radio because lugging around cd's is a PIA !

http://www.basspro.com/Boss-Audio-Systems-AM/FM-Marine-Stereo-with-2-Speakers/product/1408051321/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor