Adding Torque to a 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Keeping it mostly stock and torque - - -- like fat girl and a bikini - they don't really go together.

I would argue that opening up the exhaust would bring LESS torque and more horsepower.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
So timing, gears and exhaust is the key to getting more torque out of my stock motor that's where it's at huh? I will implement (charged up pony's).. thx a lot GB's

Attachments

• 20131020_135311.jpg
    20131020_135311.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 341

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
LS1GN said:
Keeping it mostly stock and torque - - -- like fat girl and a bikini - they don't really go together.

I would argue that opening up the exhaust would bring LESS torque and more horsepower.

yea i am content with the horses just want to give them a boost

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
shanghaismith said:
And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

-83MONTESS- said:
Besides adding full length headers, true dual exhaust with good flowing mufflers I really dont think there is better ways to do it without opening it up. I would start with a nice exhaust because not only should that help with power a little but also sound. Just my .02

X2 Not much else you can do. Most everyone that wants more power swaps engines (350 or 403) You could put in different rear gears like 3.42 or 3.73 ratio. This is a mod that keeps it stock but it will feel a lot more powerful. The down side is higher RPM at highway speeds. The 200 4R transmission with a 3.73 rear end ratio is a great combination and it is stock parts.

I kno they getting of key....

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Well thought out headers and true duals will help. Don't go for huge tubes, though.

Also, I'd even be cautious with rear gearing. The roller 307 was made with the idea to bring in all the power and torque at particularly low RPM. I think maybe 3.23s would be as far as I'd go for a 307. The extra gearing MIGHT be a little counterproductive.

In theory, anyway.

Make sure the EGR valve is working well and the EGR passages are CLEAN . . . then run full timing spec. Emissions era Olds V8s like lots of timing, particularly the 307, but gets VERY detonation sensitive even with partial clogging of the EGR system from what I'm told.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
King_V said:
Well thought out headers and true duals will help. Don't go for huge tubes, though.

Also, I'd even be cautious with rear gearing. The roller 307 was made with the idea to bring in all the power and torque at particularly low RPM. I think maybe 3.23s would be as far as I'd go for a 307. The extra gearing MIGHT be a little counterproductive.

In theory, anyway.

Make sure the EGR valve is working well and the EGR passages are CLEAN . . . then run full timing spec. Emissions era Olds V8s like lots of timing, particularly the 307, but gets VERY detonation sensitive even with partial clogging of the EGR system from what I'm told.

Thx for the info makes sense ..... King v

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I ran 3.73's with a roller 307 and they worked just fine. In my opinion these engines are so anemic they need all the help they can get!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor