Adding Torque to a 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
Whats up GB's whats the best way to add more torque to a 307 motor or a couple of ways... trying to keep it stock as possible.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Besides adding full length headers, true dual exhaust with good flowing mufflers I really dont think there is better ways to do it without opening it up. I would start with a nice exhaust because not only should that help with power a little but also sound. Just my .02

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
z3s3.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
:shock: Thats one manly torque wrench!

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
-83MONTESS- said:
:shock: Thats one manly torque wrench!
x2!
That intake manifold isn't going anywhere!!

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

-83MONTESS- said:
Besides adding full length headers, true dual exhaust with good flowing mufflers I really dont think there is better ways to do it without opening it up. I would start with a nice exhaust because not only should that help with power a little but also sound. Just my .02

X2 Not much else you can do. Most everyone that wants more power swaps engines (350 or 403) You could put in different rear gears like 3.42 or 3.73 ratio. This is a mod that keeps it stock but it will feel a lot more powerful. The down side is higher RPM at highway speeds. The 200 4R transmission with a 3.73 rear end ratio is a great combination and it is stock parts.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What year 307? The swirl port ones are the version everyone hates. Nearly everyone complained how gutlass they were years back, tiny ports and less than 8 to 1 was a joke. The pre 85 ones were good for their time, adequate then but gutless compared to new stuff. If it is and early one, all of the above plus a small cam like the Lunati High Effieciency series, probably needs the plastic timing gear replaced anyways. Was kind of a slap in the face to great motor, the Olds V8. Especially since efi could have boosted power, not lower it like they did.

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
Getting the timing right on a 307 can work wonders. Also mine had a clogged cat and felt extremely gutless. It's no rocketship now but has plenty of power for a DD, even gets up and goes with the 2.14s out back. Without the cat it still struggled to get up hills before it got some timing. I also did a full delete of the AIR injection system and have had no problems with it. I get 20+ highway driving to and from school.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
olds307 and 403 said:
What year 307? The swirl port ones are the version everyone hates. Nearly everyone complained how gutlass they were years back, tiny ports and less than 8 to 1 was a joke. The pre 85 ones were good for their time, adequate then but gutless compared to new stuff. If it is and early one, all of the above plus a small cam like the Lunati High Effieciency series, probably needs the plastic timing gear replaced anyways. Was kind of a slap in the face to great motor, the Olds V8. Especially since efi could have boosted power, not lower it like they did.

it is a 86 cutlass salon supreme brougham 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor