Adj. rear control arm question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I just bought a set of Lakewood adj. rear upper control arms for my car. I got the old ones off and was going to get them adjusted to the right length but the new ones were to long by about 3/4 inch. My question is will that change in the pinion angle affect anything? I tried calling tech support but all I got out of that was "it should fit, I dont know what to tell you", so I just hung up on the idiot. Will this cause any vibration problems or ruin my u-joints?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if the car is lowered it will work out to more than 3/4in but in the end it all depends on what the pinion angle ends up being. i'd assume that it will be too far off, which will cause vibration and wear out the u-joints.
where did you buy the arms from? if you got them from a reputable dealer i'd call them and have them measure a set. if they're the proper length i'd get an exchange. if all you get is "they should fit" then b*tch moan and complain until you get a refund.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
rear arms

there is a good chance that the housing shifted if you took out both arms out at the same time i know when my arms need to be changed i have to pull one arm at a time to keep the housing from moving.. this may be what happend to you...after you install the arms get a angle meter an check the angle of the pinion that will tell you everything you'll need to know i think anywere near 0 to 4% down angle will work,and from there you can move it around to try to get traction and thats always a problem ,if you know mean....now after you checkn the pinion angle an it's postive yor arms are wrong imo....jesse

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I got these arms off of ebay. They are Lakewood brand though. The problem is that when the adjustments are completely bottomed out they still do not match up with the holes on the original ones. I did have to raise front of the diff to get the new ones in. Im thinking I can modify the arms to shorten them so they will fit.

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
These may be old stock control arm for converting to a 12 bolt rear. I believe that Lakewood does or did sell such a part. This maybe why they were such a good deal on ebay......... :(

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Lawfree said:
These may be old stock control arm for converting to a 12 bolt rear. I believe that Lakewood does or did sell such a part. This maybe why they were such a good deal on ebay......... :(

That would make sense. I guess I will try to ask Lakewood and see if they can get me the dimensions on that part. I know the part number that is on the box says it is for a gbody but says nothing about a 12 bolt swap. This is really confusing me. Does anyone see any problems with me just chopping some of the arm off to make it fit? I doubt that me getting this from ebay will make resolving this problem any easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor