After market speaker install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian B

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2015
I recently purchased after market 4 by 10's for my 1985 monte ss. Due to the magnet size and slightly taller speaker it won't fit in my original mounting bracket. Im not drilling holes, any help would be great. Thanks

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have Kenwoods and found the same issue. I just returned them and installed the 6x9 adapters. They fit better and offered greater choices.

Brian B

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2015
Thanks. So did you use 6 by 9's and the adapter, or 4 by 10's using the 6 by 9 adapter. What car do you have?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
4 x 10's are just a bad design for quality sound so I think most people upgrade to a 6 x 9 in the rear either using adapters or modifying the rear deck to fit them directly.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
4 x 10's are just a bad design for quality sound so I think most people upgrade to a 6 x 9 in the rear either using adapters or modifying the rear deck to fit them directly.

Why are the 4x10 speakers a bad design compared to the 6x9 speakers? Is it just a size issue?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I went 4x10's in my cutlass bc all the 6x9's that were good performance had such a large magnet it would hit trunk torsion rods or whatever they are called. I did however drill holes but fit great and easy to remove if needed...sorry for crappy pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,749
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,895
Reactions: 1 user

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Thanks. So did you use 6 by 9's and the adapter, or 4 by 10's using the 6 by 9 adapter. What car do you have?

I have an 87 Monte Carlo LS. I used Kenwood 6x9 speakers with 6x9 adapters. They just barely miss the torsion bar for the trunk. If the magnets were any bigger they would hit. This said I only have a mid-range head unit and was not going to put high end speaker on it. The Kenwoods work great with the older Pioneer HU in the car.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
You can mount them from the top side. 6x9's are a crappy design as well. Just the whole oval shape is inefficient and outdated. From a true sound quality stand point, rear fill is just unnecessary. G bodies have no factory options for decent sized and positioned speakers that can reproduce full range sound.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
WARNING: This post contains speaker p*rn . . .

I agree that 4x10s are not great sound producers. I swapped the factory 4x10s for a set of Pioneer 4x10s 30 years ago and could not even tell the difference. A 40W per channel amp just to the rears helped but not much.

And, again true, 6x9s won't perform as well as a round speaker but you can still get a ton of sound out of them. Though I am now switching my Sony 1 DIN head out for a RetroSound unit, this sound system below sounds pretty amazing to my ears. My only disclaimer is I am comparing the sound now to how it used to sound . . . not to the most amazing sound system I've ever heard and, if you are a bumper buzzer, this won't be your cup of tea either but I don't get the whole bumper buzzing thing . . . I just love pristinely clear LOUD music.

I have these JBL GX302s up front in the dash mounted [under] the stock mount points since the coaxial centers are too tall for the covers to mount them on top. They just run off the 25W head power with 150Hz bass blockers so these just add fill sound but they sound SO much better and produce SO much more sound than the factory set.
g109GX302-F.jpg

And these JBL GX962s are mounted on the rear deck running off a Sound Ordnance 110W per channel amp. I dial down the bass output of this amp by 6dB which helps the 6x9s perform even better because . . .
g109GX962-F.jpg

I put in a single 10" Rockford Fosgate powered sub in the middle right behind the rear seat. Just for those that actually don't know, you mount it facing rear [which seems a little counter-intuitive but that's how they are supposed to mount] and it sits perfectly against the angle of the rear seat. I think the sub no doubt makes the most difference but I am most surprised by how much sound will come out of those dinky front speakers.

g575P30010-o_angle.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor