Aftermarket control arms and balljoints

Turbosbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2018
Kangasala, Finland
I am about to assemble my front suspension in my 78 malibu: Stock lower control arm with proforged 0.5 in tall balljoint, blazer spindle, moog 5660 spring. I tried to change stock upper control arm to southside machine performance tubulars and proforged 0.5 in tall balljoint.

This wont work because balljoint mounting pad is in wrong angle and balljoint angle bottoms even slightets suspension rebound.

I ordered q1a balljoints. I hope these have greater movement angle. Otherwise I junk those ssm control arms.

Those control arms arent wery expensive...Why they dont make them to right angle.... I quess you get what you pay for.

Turbosbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2018
Kangasala, Finland
Update.
With q1a balljoints everything works. I just have to make some stops to prevent suspension come too much out when lifting the car.
I set Camber to -0.25 and caster about 5 degrees. I think thats ok. I can add caster but cambrer is about max or i need longer bolts.

Edit. Q1a balljoints are not for street use according to manufacturer. That makes impossible to pass inspection in Finland with those in car.

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024

Edit. Q1a balljoints are not for street use according to manufacturer. That makes impossible to pass inspection in Finland with those in car.
How would they know?

Reactions: 1 user

Turbosbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2018
Kangasala, Finland
Its pretty easy to spot 1 inch taller balljoint from stock. Then you have to have proof that non stock part is street legal aka you need document that says part is approved for street use.

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
I'm missing something.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
between the alignment issues that may pop up,not being able to run a close to stock height BJ,having to run a part that the manufacturer states not for street/continous use AND dodging the suspension inspection seems like a lot of work to circumvent a cheap set of control arms that is the hub of your suspension system...

Reactions: 2 users

Turbosbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2018
Kangasala, Finland
Yes that is true. But no matter what upper control arm you use, you still need tall balljoint if you want to make better your camber curves.
It also sucks that every part you buy end up about double price after shipping and taxes.

Building cars is always lot of work :)

• Agree

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
there are companies out there that include that addtional caster by desgin in their product that equals that sought after improved curve.i hate to see someone spend even more to get a new part(be it a cheaper one) to perform how we thought it would outta the box.we've all been there.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor