Quadrajet or Aftermarket?

TheSaint

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2021
What’s happening y’all? I recently picked up an 86 Regal with a newer 350 swap. It has a quadrajet on it and it’s not running properly. I feel like it’s a carb issue. It’s hard to start, (electric choke isn’t connected to anything) once it’s running it idles funky and seems to drown when you give it gas. Wondering if it makes sense to rebuild or just go aftermarket with it? Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5500.jpeg
    IMG_5500.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 37

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Your crimped fuel line (shown in picture) looks like cuts off almost 50% of fuel flow into the carb. It is starving the carb when it needs it the most WOT. I solved my hard start with an electric fuel pump; pushing from the rear not pulling from the engine compartment.

Reactions: 6 users

TheSaint

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2021
Your crimped fuel line (shown in picture) looks like cuts off almost 50% of fuel flow into the carb. It is starving the carb when it needs it the most WOT. I solved my hard start with an electric fuel pump; pushing from the rear not pulling from the engine compartment.
lol yeah I figured that would be part of the problem, so that’s getting fixed as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What is that carb off? It looks like a CCC carb, no good without the computer.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The quadrajet is cheaper, as having the current one rebuilt would be abetter way to save some money. But seeing that yours is a computer controlled another one that's not a computer controled one would be a better way to go.

As for aftermartket, guys have less good luck with the Edelbrocks, Holleys do cost more, there are the Holley like others. That being an aftermarket intake there should be the dual pattern carb pad so you wouldn't need an adapter plate.

But as noted, fix that fuel line first & see if there is anything in the harness for the electric choke wire as the original engine should of had it on its carb. After that if things don't improve work towards another carb even if it has the old school divorce choke as the intake has the pad for the temperature spring unit to mount to.

Reactions: 3 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Likely nothing major wrong with the QJ. Get the choke operating properly, Get the distributor vacuum advance connected to the proper vacuum port and replace all the dry rubber hoses and plugs, some look new some look really old.

The electronic connector is not an issue, it is for a 2 stage accelerator pump if it is not connected it just operates like a regular QJ.

What's the number stamped on the drivers side?

Reactions: 6 users

TheSaint

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2021
Likely nothing major wrong with the QJ. Get the choke operating properly, Get the distributor vacuum advance connected to the proper vacuum port and replace all the dry rubber hoses and plugs, some look new some look really old.

The electronic connector is not an issue, it is for a 2 stage accelerator pump if it is not connected it just operates like a regular QJ.

What's the number stamped on the drivers side?
17085226 is on the carb. If I remember correctly it’s M4MED I’ll grab some more hoses and plugs tomorrow and swap them out. I appreciate the response

TheSaint

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2021
The quadrajet is cheaper, as having the current one rebuilt would be abetter way to save some money. But seeing that yours is a computer controlled another one that's not a computer controled one would be a better way to go.

As for aftermartket, guys have less good luck with the Edelbrocks, Holleys do cost more, there are the Holley like others. That being an aftermarket intake there should be the dual pattern carb pad so you wouldn't need an adapter plate.

But as noted, fix that fuel line first & see if there is anything in the harness for the electric choke wire as the original engine should have had it on its carb. After that if things don't improve work towards another carb even if it has the old school divorce choke as the intake has the pad for the temperature spring unit to mount to.
Thanks for the info I’ll try and troubleshoot some and see if I can get it running decent

Nov 4, 2012
Using that number, that carb is off of a 1985 Chevy motor with an automatic transmission. I prefer Q-Jets over anything aftermarket, but I can see from your photos, your fuel line is an issue, your choke is not hooked up, and you are completely missing the primary choke pull off.

If it has been sitting a while, I'd pull it and put a rebuild kit in it. There are dozens of videos on how to do it.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor