Aftermarket delay wiper washer pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got a old "NOS" electric washer pump for the delay wiper motor today & need to make a change in how the instructions required cutting some wires. This involves the red & black/purple (they list it as pink/black) wires. The red has a Packard flag (90 deg) terminal & the black/purple is soldered onto the relay
20220725_194417.jpg

It is instructed to cut & splice them together but in my wire OCD I can't. So now I need to find some of those Packard flag terminals that will allow me to use the new pump & revert back to the mechanical pump. I think it was a bad idea for GM to solder the one wire instead of using a flag terminal but using one on that wire will allow a cleaner conversion & still allow it to go back to OE setup minus solder. I have some double male blade terminals that'll allow them to connect, just need a shrink tube to insulate. I do want to show this as it might help with replacing the relay also. Having just hitting some local GM parts counters looking for terminals,they didn't have any. So if anyone have access or leads on them let me know cause I'm not to crazy about the ones I've seen.

Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
None of the many crimp tools I have would make a nice clean crimp on the flag terminals so I used these and soldered them.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Decided tonight to undo the soldering of of the black/purple wire tonight so that will be out of the way. Looked at the space under the relay & I might be OK to use regular Packard 56 terminals instead of the flags if I would ever want to revert back to the OE pump. Figured I also should have what I need with the shrink tubes to boot it from contact & under hood conditions. Funny thing with this conversion it looks like all I really needed was a nozzle repair kit got the OE pump.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you using the ACI 172620 kit by chance? I have one - just waiting to get the car back to put it in.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Are you using the ACI 172620 kit by chance? I have one - just waiting to get the car back to put it in.
It's a early '90's old stock Roberk P-79 which would be the same as a Trico 11-516 (beleive Trico aquired Roberk from Edelmann in the late '90's). This has a electric pump instead of the mechanical type. I have one on the original non-delay motor but I just found out from sitting & not being used for a long time it gave up the ghost.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
FYI I noted in this post that ACI 172620 is an exact replacement for the original pump and functions like stock since it keeps the electronics. I know that's not what you have, but I'm mentioning because of the OCD of cutting that wire (I can relate!). Just wanted you to know there's something out there that requires no cutting and retains the stock look & function.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
FYI I noted in this post that ACI 172620 is an exact replacement for the original pump and functions like stock since it keeps the electronics. I know that's not what you have, but I'm mentioning because of the OCD of cutting that wire (I can relate!). Just wanted you to know there's something out there that requires no cutting and retains the stock look & function.
I believe I have a fix to help the OCD. Looks like a standard PED 56 terminal will clear & won't have no contact shorting issues as I'll put a shrink tube over it. This will allow me to go back if I want to.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got back at it tonight. I picked up some double male terminals & trimmed down a few to allow me to experiment with connecting the red & black/purple wires per the washer pump kit. Left the flag terminal on the red & crimped a straight female onto the black/purple. Other than maybe taping over the end with the flag, it all looks to work. Did shrink tubed the exposed end of the terminal to prevent any bare contact & still allows the black/purple wire to go back onto the original pumps terminal for retrofitting back to it if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor