Aftermarket gauge cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yes that is the only way the 6 gauges will fit plus the speedo and tach need to be centered on the steering column. We have had a few folks ask to build a panel with the speedo and tach in the center but it just doesn't work.

Thanks
Exactly! I designed mine from the factory Olds rally pack cluster, with some modern touches. It's cool to see a company like NVU step up and start making them. You guys have the R&D to knock it out of the park! I literally made mine in my backyard after doing some renderings on what looked best, some basic cutting tools, and patience.
Mine turned out ok I guess. Before I switched to an electric speedo....
20141211_113212.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
For sure! I did mine as a one off. If the $$$ was right I might make another, but it wouldn't be exact to how I did mine. Gauges aren't cheap, we all know one can quickly drop some coin on them!
i still have the temp let for them. i dont work at that company anymore. i can still make one at home.

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Hey, before I spend a 1/2 hour figuring it out, is the stock rally speedo all mechanical or a conversion? I assume it is all mechanical but frankly haven't looked if there is a converter up in there?

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
DING DING DING DING DING!

Time's up. I figured it out. I assumed all mechanical because many years ago, my speedo started that jumping around crap that they often did when cables and/or gears in the transmission were loose or going bad but just healed itself somehow? But, "my manual" says there is an electronic converter in behind the speedo.

Question now is . . . is that factory mechanical/electronic converter "plug and play" with ANY aftermarket speedo?

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK . . .

New Vintage USA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2017
DETROIT
DING DING DING DING DING!

Time's up. I figured it out. I assumed all mechanical because many years ago, my speedo started that jumping around crap that they often did when cables and/or gears in the transmission were loose or going bad but just healed itself somehow? But, "my manual" says there is an electronic converter in behind the speedo.

Question now is . . . is that factory mechanical/electronic converter "plug and play" with ANY aftermarket speedo?

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK . . .

The DRAC box outputs a 2,000 PPM AC sinewave signal. While SOME aftermarket electronic speedometers will operate on a signal with only 2,000 PPM, most will not. The AC sinewave signal is also relativly low amplitude and not exactly the best way to go. The other issue is if you intend to use the factory cruise control, you cannot split an AC sinewave signal, it will be split and the amplitude will be too low for either the speedometer or the cruise to function properly. You have a few options:
1. Use a screw-on style speed sender with a pass-through for a cable. You can run the speedo from the sender and cruise from the DRAC box.
2. Use a GPS speed sender to run the speedo and DRAC box for cruise
3. SOME aftermarket speedometers have an output to run cruise but I am not exactly sure of the outputs on them so cannot speak to that point 100%

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
The DRAC box outputs a 2,000 PPM AC sinewave signal. While SOME aftermarket electronic speedometers will operate on a signal with only 2,000 PPM, most will not. The AC sinewave signal is also relativly low amplitude and not exactly the best way to go. The other issue is if you intend to use the factory cruise control, you cannot split an AC sinewave signal, it will be split and the amplitude will be too low for either the speedometer or the cruise to function properly. You have a few options:
1. Use a screw-on style speed sender with a pass-through for a cable. You can run the speedo from the sender and cruise from the DRAC box.
2. Use a GPS speed sender to run the speedo and DRAC box for cruise
3. SOME aftermarket speedometers have an output to run cruise but I am not exactly sure of the outputs on them so cannot speak to that point 100%

Typical, everything I touch on this car requires adding something else new to work "properly". Now this should not amount to more than an additional $150-200 since my cruise still works and I'd like that to continue . . . unlike for example my rear end surprise . . .
and and and :doh:

Seriously, thanks for the detailed response. Very informative!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor