Air Conditioning Compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm sure no matter which compressor you put in that monte it's gonna look bad *ss.

Reactions: 1 user

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Well, the R4 compressors do not hold up very well to the elevated pressures when running R134a. The molecular makeup of the refrigerant itself may have something to do with it too. I have seen post after post of over on thirdgen.org. saying they just don't last. New GM compressors or aftermarket, it doesn't seem to matter much. They just don't last very long. Once in a while someone would have good luck with one. Maybe that's why GM went with the sanden style compressors on most everything in the late 90's. I know they did in '96 on their trucks.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The big thing with an R4 is don't rev it above 4000 RPM. We have a window switch (like those for controlling nitrous setups) on my brother's car that will automatically kick the compressor out at 3900 RPM.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am kind of curious if even the Sanden compressor can handle the RPM of that engine without some sort activated cut off switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor