Alt for Terminator X Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What's the wire on the alternator plug hooked to? It needs to be hooked to an output and programmed to charge. Who did this install and have you asked your tuner?

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
I did the install and mapped the wiring harness to the ECM for the alternator connector.
The last time I spoke t the tuner was a several years ago its just been random and have not really sat down to figure it out until now.
Green block:
PIN 15 wire clr: BRN circuit No. 25 Charge Indicator Control (MODELS WITH GENERATOR BATTERY CONTROL MODULE, REWIRE ALTERNATOR BROWN WIRE TO THIS PIN TO REMOVE GBCM)

PIN 75 wire clr:
GRY
Circuit 23 Generator Field Duty Cycle Signal (MODELS WITH GENERATOR BATTERY CONTROL MODULE, REWIRE ALTERNATOR GRAY WIRE TO THIS PIN TO REMOVE GBCM)

Last edited:

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
Alrighty then...
Figured it out -

This is my situation:
Running an External Regulator Setup:

If you are going with an aftermarket engine management system or you just don't have the BCM to send the PWM signals, then check out this helpful LS1Tech article:
MY ECM has the GBCM is removed no DTCs or PIDS related to battery for BCM errors. plain performance programmed ECM stand alone.

Here's the secret why GM puts it in later model cars. The computer can command the alternator to put out any voltage from 11V to 15.5V.
Before the late model engine is started, and also after its shut off, GM can check the condition of your battery. Then they can decide how to charge it and they command the alternator to put out the voltage needed to maintain the battery. Also, the alternator tells the computer if it's having trouble putting out the voltage that the computer commanded. To help the alternator, the computer might raise the idle speed for example.

The L pin is the command voltage pin. A 5V PWM signal is sent from the ECM/BCM at a frequency of 128hz. If the duty cycle is less than 10% or more than 90% or just plain not connected, the alternator will go into default mode and put out about 13.7 volts. Enough to keep your car running, but not enough to charge the battery well. - that is where it sits at Idle or traveling down the road 13.6 to 13.9 nothing to charge the battery.

The fix is a $12.00 part for a PWM signal Generator - I am geting the PWM Generator

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So what are you going to do?

Reactions: 1 user

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
Reactions: 1 users

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
gauge_cluster.jpeg

See Top Right the PWM signal generator - works like a champ - Volts come up to 13.9 - 14.1 and car never stumbles and seems to be driving much better.
Not sure Why I thought the ECM was managing the signal since all that was removed during performance tuning... Live and learn
best part is watching headlights disappear in review :D

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor