Alt for Terminator X Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
450 NA? If yes, then that sounds suspect.

Take a pic of your alternator plug. And a description of where the wires go from the plug.

You're describing a that you need a new alternator.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Leaving the voltage sensing alternator and wiring in is going to give you a headache, as you've already seen. JMO

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
450 NA? If yes, then that sounds suspect.

Take a pic of your alternator plug. And a description of where the wires go from the plug.

You're describing a that you need a new alternator.

Leaving the voltage sensing alternator and wiring in is going to give you a headache, as you've already seen. JMO
that was my suspicion - I have seen a few aftermarket voltage management solutions but they all reference the 140 A 4 pin alternator not the self regulating ECM integrated Altentator as in my case. leaving the sense wire off is supposed to default it to 13.8 volt charging on all the time whch is not good either.
so back to the issues - I have the wrong Map ... aka wrong alternator...

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not really. You have it wired incorrectly or the alternator is on the way out.

The alternator doesn’t give a rat’s *ss where the sense wire is hooked to. And fwiw, you can have it being controlled by the Holley just the same as a factory ECU controls it. The sense wire runs the regulator - period.

What alternator do you have? If you aren’t sure, then take a picture.

What do you mean you have the wrong Map? Manifold absolute pressure sensor?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The Terminator can't send out a PWM signal, which that alternator requires, that I know of. But I've been wrong before....

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The Terminator can't send out a PWM signal, which that alternator requires, that I know of. But I've been wrong before....
Happel makes a harness just for that. He has tunes on the sloppy wiki page to do it. It’s a PWM output the same way a fan, meth pump or Nitrous solenoid works.

You need to use the alternator voltage as an input to PWM an output to the sense wire. No special alternator required.I can do it with my junkyard truck AD244.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Also, I can use an input to the Term X that is a dash switch (trans brake release) of any nature that will increase voltage to 16-17volts.
It’s been done by a lot of people. The issue is the length time - it gets HOT making more volts than it was designed to make.

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
that was my suspicion - I have seen a few aftermarket voltage management solutions but they all reference the 140 A 4 pin alternator not the self regulating ECM integrated Altentator as in my case. leaving the sense wire off is supposed to default it to 13.8 volt charging on all the time whch is not good either.
so back to the issues - I have the wrong Map ... aka wrong alternator...

Attachments

• IMG_3501.jpeg
    IMG_3501.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3503.jpeg
    IMG_3503.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3504.jpeg
    IMG_3504.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
Not really. You have it wired incorrectly or the alternator is on the way out.

The alternator doesn’t give a rat’s *ss where the sense wire is hooked to. And fwiw, you can have it being controlled by the Holley just the same as a factory ECU controls it. The sense wire runs the regulator - period.

What alternator do you have? If you aren’t sure, then take a picture.

What do you mean you have the wrong Map? Manifold absolute pressure sensor?
just being funny as in wrong city map ...

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
The alternator is the stock hi output alternator for the 2005 Tahoe - essentially brand new and is putting out some minimal voltage.
The issue it seems is there is nothing to tell the alternator what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor