Alt for terminator x max

Dwood88

n00b
Dec 11, 2019
Hello all,

I am trying to get all the wiring hooked up on my malibu and now I'm to the alternator. I have the holley alternator and requires the holley 197-400 4 pin connector. My question is where do you hook the wire to and also do I need the old wires at all that's currently on the car. The old wires run down to the battery also. And I'm also using the holley digital dash if that makes any difference. I appreciate any help that you have. I attached a pic of the original wires for alt.

Attachments

• IMG_20240526_213759.jpg
    IMG_20240526_213759.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 15

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes you definitely need the original wiring from the car for the alternator. I believe the connector comes with a wiring diagram on how to hook it up. It's been a few years since I did mine and don't remember off hand

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can use the factory wiring or use none of it, depends on what you want to function. The minimum you need is a heavy gauge wire for the charge wire - anything from a 10 to as big as 6 to hook back to the starter, battery, or power stud. And a sense wire that contain a resistor (400 or so ohm IIRC) to a 12v source. If you have or want an idiot light, then you'll need an additional wire in the 4 plug connector. You can use the factory wiring, but you won't need all of them. Cleaning up the engine wiring led me away from using the factory wiring. But either way will work. If you're using a Holley Dash, then you don't need a charging idiot light unless you want the redundancy.

Reactions: 3 users

Dwood88

n00b
Dec 11, 2019
You can use the factory wiring or use none of it, depends on what you want to function. The minimum you need is a heavy gauge wire for the charge wire - anything from a 10 to as big as 6 to hook back to the starter, battery, or power stud. And a sense wire that contain a resistor (400 or so ohm IIRC) to a 12v source. If you have or want an idiot light, then you'll need an additional wire in the 4 plug connector. You can use the factory wiring, but you won't need all of them. Cleaning up the engine wiring led me away from using the factory wiring. But either way will work. If you're using a Holley Dash, then you don't need a charging idiot light unless you want the redundancy.
That makes sense, I have a new 10 Guage wire ran from the starter to the post on the alternator. This way I can clean up wires and just use the new alternator wire. I appreciate the help.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor