Alternative Drop-in Radiator/Fan set-ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The shroud set-up is broken for my 78 Malibu (stock sbc/auto) in >4pcs. The fan & clutch are ready to be replaced as well.

I did some searching for an 'OE' replacement shroud. I'm not interested in spending more than a typical replacement set-up & I don't need NOS priced parts. Most stuff that comes up on the searches is for earlier Malibu's (or something completely unrelated :rolleyes: ).

I'm considering alternative radiator set-ups from newer cars & like the idea of something that will work as a combo (radiator core has the mounts built-in for the e-fans). I googled & read suggestions for Chrysler fans, ls1 f-body, b-body Caprice, LT1 stuff as well just as many diff radiator manufacturers.

I'd prefer to buy a matched matched radiator + fan set-up from say Oreillys Auto that would be a drop-in w/easy warranty exchange should it be necessary

I have enough 'projects' to keep me busy so w/this need I'm looking to keep things simple. What's going to fit the best & be an easy install while not leaving the core support looking like something was missing?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Well.... Not much feedback on this one.

I've been investigating options & I'm still pushing toward updating to an easily accessible aluminum radiator & dual E-fan set-up. It seems many websites aren't much help other than if you want click on an item for purchase. Not much info on specifics listed for most retailers especially. Searching through local parts sources (O'Reilly's, Advance, Autozone, NAPA) I found O'Reilly's search feature was better vs the others & @ least let me navigate through possible options for choices.

No.1 on my priority list was a dual row of tubes set-up. Most local 'direct replacement' stuff found was single row for my app (or similar (f-body/s10 etc).
From there it was a matter of finding options in a similar width & height with Inlet/Outlet ports in the right location. O'Reilly's listed 4-options for my list. That was narrowed down to 3 options quickly based on Inlet/Outlet placement. Two of those 3-options look more 'square' up top & I recall during my info-searches the need to find a choice that is angled like the factory radiators are because of clearance issues @ the hood. The 3rd choice is angled w/dimensions coming in @ 28.25w x 17h x 1.75 depth.

So tonight I'm going to see if the extra width is going to make much difference & I'll go from there. I've seen several threads on the site for dual fan assembly's that can be bolted on to g-body radiators so I'll have to go back & document the specifics of make/model/year of those options. Maybe I can come up w/a combo.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Factory F-body dual fan setup or factory Intrepid dual fans.

CC162 for a radiator. the two mount independently of each other. It will look like a factory setup though.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Factory F-body dual fan setup or factory Intrepid dual fans.

CC162 for a radiator. the two mount independently of each other. It will look like a factory setup though.
My brain had Intrepid & LT-1 year model e-fans noted. Wasn't sure on year model for the Intrepid set-up though. I was was going to actually search again & write the info down this round.
Thanks for the radiator mdl info.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the Intrepid fan set up on a big 31" x 19" Griffen radiator with 2 x 1.25" tubes that cools my 565 BBC very well and on that car I made brackets to use the factory Intrepid fan mounts and only slight trimming was needed to fit the 26" core.
I am also in the process of doing this upgrade to my 86' Regal with a different style Griffen still the same dimensions but with a trans cooler but this one I can modify the fan set up to mount to the radiator instead and this one also has the straight up radiator fill neck but there is still plenty of hood clearance for the radiator neck and the radiator cap with the relief valve.
Here is the fan I just ordered for the Regal, it should be able to be wired for high and low speeds.
Of coarse none of this is a drop in no mods application.

Last edited:

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
This is what I have in my 79 Malibu. I got it on Ebay. 3 row radiator/twin electric fans. I did however upgrade the fans to 1750 cfm's each. The ones that came in the kit just weren't enough. Dropped right in. Just had to do a little wiring which all came with the fans. Now I'm chillin' in the Arizona sun.

Attachments

• 20200802_125003.jpg
    20200802_125003.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200802_185158.jpg
    20200802_185158.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: 5 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
This is what I have in my 79 Malibu. I got it on Ebay. 3 row radiator/twin electric fans. I did however upgrade the fans to 1750 cfm's each. The ones that came in the kit just weren't enough. Dropped right in. Just had to do a little wiring which all came with the fans. Now I'm chillin' in the Arizona sun.
Looks clean. My deal is i dislike sourcing things that I consider 'wearable' to mail order only availability. Master cylinders, calipers, fuel-pumps, alternators, & cooling components are all items I'd like to be able to pick-up @ local auto parts stores vs having to go through the mail in the event of an issue (failure).

I've seen more than 1 high-end radiator that has failed (leaked) & know that e-fans prefer aluminum radiators for the best outcome. I'm not against the e-bay, ECP's, or Cold-Case vendors it's just easier to get things replaced when you can get them from your local places. This is especially true when it comes to a warranty related issue (provided they have the item in stock).

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I do understand what you're saying, Scoti. Maybe I've just had luck with the things I have got online. I'm finding the availability at local parts stores are limited. And I live in a big city. Things aren't like they were when I was younger. Me included. I used to be able to go to Super Shops and get what ever I wanted. Now "Super Shops" has turned into Summit Racing and Jegs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I already know I can't get what I need locally and by the way this is the clearance on my Griffen radiator with the straight up filler neck in my 86' Regal and using a stock hood, it might be different in other cars, also my radiator has about 1/2" + room of clearance to the core support on both sides with a 31" wide radiator.
I didn't have any Play-Doh so I had to use Duct seal.

IMG_20211127_205122995.jpg
IMG_20211127_204738550.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I do understand what you're saying, Scoti. Maybe I've just had luck with the things I have got online. I'm finding the availability at local parts stores are limited. And I live in a big city. Things aren't like they were when I was younger. Me included. I used to be able to go to Super Shops and get what ever I wanted. Now "Super Shops" has turned into Summit Racing and Jegs.
Very true.

it's been more apparent during this search as well. When I tried to get p/n's for radiators for a g-body Malibu or late 2nd GEN f-body @ NAPA & Advance they don't list any matches. This was another reason for broadening the search for alternatives from later model vehicles that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor