Alternative Drop-in Radiator/Fan set-ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I already know I can't get what I need locally and by the way this is the clearance on my Griffen radiator with the straight up filler neck in my 86' Regal and using a stock hood, it might be different in other cars, also my radiator has about 1/2" + room of clearance to the core support on both sides with a 31" wide radiator.
I didn't have any Play-Doh so I had to use Duct seal.

View attachment 187750 View attachment 187751
Appreciate the input & info. I wasn't sure on the clearance related issues as far as model specific or whether it was type of hood (fiberglass vs steel); it was just a reoccurring mention from some of the threads/posts that stuck in my head.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Appreciate the input & info. I wasn't sure on the clearance related issues as far as model specific or whether it was type of hood (fiberglass vs steel); it was just a reoccurring mention from some of the threads/posts that stuck in my head.
I have also heard that, I didn't think it would be an issue but figured I would check to see anyways.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I think I actually ordered my radiator for a Cutlass because Malibu wasn't listed. Both Gbodys so rolled the dice. Radiators are one of the parts that are the same throughout the entire Gbody line as far as I can see.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I like the whole Play-do/clay thing for clearance checking. Although I already know my air cleaner hits the hood some. My air cleaner told me by the marks on it. I guess I'll need to fix that with a cowl hood.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I like the whole Play-do/clay thing for clearance checking. Although I already know my air cleaner hits the hood some. My air cleaner told me by the marks on it. I guess I'll need to fix that with a cowl hood.
I use Play-Doh or the Dollar store equivalent all the time to check clearances like this.

20171220_200409_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I do also have Summit Racing somewhat near-by (they're a 45min drive from home). They have several manufacturer options (Cold case, Griffin, Mishimoto, Frostbite, DeWitts, & their 'house brand') but limited as far as store held inventory.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I do also have Summit Racing somewhat near-by (they're a 45min drive from home). They have several manufacturer options (Cold case, Griffin, Mishimoto, Frostbite, DeWitts, & their 'house brand') but limited as far as store held inventory.
I am sure if you find something on Summits site that is not in stock at that location they can order it in from another store to be there in a couple of days for you.
I guess you have to ask yourself do you want to order a set up that will cool your car in any situation from an online source or do you want to try to cobble some factory replacement parts together hoping it will do the job on the slim chance you have an issue and have to return something.
For me my goal with the Regal is to be able to sit in Dream Cruise traffic which barely moves on a 95 degree day with the AC on and both me and the car stay cool and I guarantee they are no local parts stores that have anything that will accomplish that.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I am sure if you find something on Summits site that is not in stock at that location they can order it in from another store to be there in a couple of days for you.
I guess you have to ask yourself do you want to order a set up that will cool your car in any situation from an online source or do you want to try to cobble some factory replacement parts together hoping it will do the job on the slim chance you have an issue and have to return something.
For me my goal with the Regal is to be able to sit in Dream Cruise traffic which barely moves on a 95 degree day with the AC on and both me and the car stay cool and I guarantee they are no local parts stores that have anything that will accomplish that.
I def get your perspective. But you have a higher end big-block to cool. At most I'll have a <10:1 sbc 406 in mine. My logic was more of not over doing things for a mild small block. A lot of people feel the need to have the high end everything because that's what the mags/internet name brand builders 'use' (the high end Be-Cool pkgs are a common name drop). And we also know not every aluminum radiator sold is equal (everyones is better than the others).

While Summit isn't too far, it's not readily accessible during the week days because of the traffic required on the route for that drive. I usually have things shipped vs driving out there M-F or I have to take time off during the day to get out there & back before 3pm. It's typically an early Sat or Sun trip. But if your not there early (for a return or warranty issue) you get to wait..............

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Another vote for the F-body radiator and fan setup. It keeps my 403 cool. The LT1 fans off the 90's B-Body appear to be the same motor/blade setup.
Did you pull OE fans from a wrecking yard car or purchase that set-up through the aftermarket/parts house? That's the other variable I'm curious of.... Are the parts store replacement fan set-ups equal to what was under-hood from the OE manufacturer?

I know aftermarket radiator manufacturers improve their product by adding more tube rows & increasing tube size vs OE. I don't think the part house radiators will vary much from OE but that's where understanding the size requirements come in handy when seeking an alternative that can drop-in. My searching yielded more than one possible option that's physically the same size as my g-body spec yet has 2-rows of tubing vs just a single row. Granted, the tubes are not as large as some of the aftermarket offerings but would still be an improvement over the single row "for your application" part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor