alum. rear drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
187 from Amazon. plus tax for 2. with free prime shipping. If you're into aluminum drums. I don't see the need unless you were trying to save every ounce.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
GNX had AL drums. They were std on a lot of cars because non G80 turbo cars got AL drums.

I ran them for a while but the lining on one was ready to grenade, so I switched back to cast iron. They prefer line lock burn outs and don't like TurboBuick abuse (Power Brake burnouts, on boost launches).

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I run them on my GN, and have them ready for my Salon. As stated above - lighter rotating mass, and better heat dissipation. They were also available on S-10, Caprice, Camaro, etc. They will fit 7.5 / 7.625 / 8.5 rear axles.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

Steve C

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2017
What is the weight of a disk brake replacement kit vs. the aluminum drum. The cost of the dick brakes from Jegs was about the same.

pizza442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 9, 2017
I remember seeing them on Firebirds/TA/GTAs while working at a Pontiac dealer in '90. Musta been the last year or so before they went to rear discs?

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
What is the weight of a disk brake replacement kit vs. the aluminum drum. The cost of the dick brakes from Jegs was about the same.
Comparing stock drum to stock disc, the drum brakes are always going to be lighter. Even if you went with a larger 11" drum, it will still be lighter than a stock disc setup. For weight, you can't beat drums unless you spend a lot of money on a race disc setup.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor