JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Reactions: 1 user

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I want to clean up my engine bay including my core support which is aluminum.

Currently, it is coating black but I thought it may be cool to strip it down to it's natural color.
I'm curious if it would be dumb to leave the metal exposed or more difficult that its worth to strip the black off it.

My car is Silver and so our my CC headers. I thought it may look cool to have a silver core support.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
CD
If you strip it to bare metal, you will need to coat it with something or it will oxidize over time. The oxidation may not get thick and real grody but it will make the part look dull.
You could also spray some paint can clear over it.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I have a powder coated aluminum support somewhere. It looks good, but you can see some of the the deep grinding marks from the factory. It was sandblasted, but I should have done some sanding as well.
I was told by a local anodizing shop that it could come out blotchy if anodized since there" may" be different grades of aluminum in the support and welding rod. It was a little too expensive to give it a shot..

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Old thread I know but I’m starting to prep my aluminum support and paint it black, stock look. I did it with another one many (16-17) years ago and it held up nicely. The stripping/coating sounds neat, but I don’t want to invest that much when most if it isn’t all that visible. I’m ok embracing the aluminum grinding marks from the factory, all part of the charm 😆. This support was also left out in the elements for awhile it appears, glad I found it but some bolts were pretty corroded and I had the hood latch area welded since it was cracked slightly around a couple bolt holes.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm jealous of you both. Fingers crossed the yard east of me has one, it's full of old stuff. Much older than 80s g bodies.

You never know, surely more are out there. A yard that a few other members have been too in the past year or so along with myself must have 20ish candidates for them, 78-80 Buick/Pontiac A/G bodies and none had aluminum.

But over the past 6-7 years I’ve found 5, my first one before that was the one I painted 16-17 years ago. Spotted a 78-79 Regal at a small salvage yard parked out front that looked fresh and stopped for that very reason and got lucky. A couple I found people parting out Grand Prix’s, a few in junkyards from pretty fresh cars, besides the one I’m about to paint. This is how I found it. Someone else must of wanted it but left it.

Attachments

• 43410C7C-CEB4-4343-B5A8-99C9C0C415CB.jpeg
    43410C7C-CEB4-4343-B5A8-99C9C0C415CB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor