Aluminum Core Support [Painting, stripping, restoration]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
The only thing about "clear" anodized is that even if you polish it before it's anodized it still comes out looking grey. Also if it were me and I were to have a part that is going to see weather and abuse from chemicals and rocks, I'd opt for hard anodized but you only have the choice of 3 or so colors in hard anodized.

Edit: If it were up to me I'd opt for powder coating, your local powder coating shop will have contacts with professional paint stripping companies and can recommend the best process for the best results (I'm guessing vat dip).

Yeah, I'm reading that anodizing must be done correctly or it can easily yellow or gray.
I have also read that it must be thick enough to matter or it is wasted energy.

Powder coating appears to be cheaper as well.

I may go back to the powder coating shop that did my headers and see what they can offer.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Here are some links to my pics in my build thread.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Here are some links to my pics in my build thread.

Thanks for the response.
What a car you made!
Love it. All of it. Tremendous

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Thank you, its almost done.
I've finally come to the realization you just have to find the time to read some of these build threads.

Searching for answers and asking questions is 1 thing but reading some of these threads really opens things up.

Makes me happy to see the cars I grew up with being rebuilt, many to full on show quality. Its good for our kids to see more than Chevelles, Vets and 5.0's as cool as they are in their own rights

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Fred Pitz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2018
Swanzey, NH
The only thing about "clear" anodized is that even if you polish it before it's anodized it still comes out looking grey. Also if it were me and I were to have a part that is going to see weather and abuse from chemicals and rocks, I'd opt for hard anodized but you only have the choice of 3 or so colors in hard anodized.

Edit: If it were up to me I'd opt for powder coating, your local powder coating shop will have contacts with professional paint stripping companies and can recommend the best process for the best results (I'm guessing vat dip).
Just a suggestion for polished aluminum.

I refinished the aluminum trim in my 1980 M 80. Did not like the idea of polishing the trim regularly. I had it coated with Cerakote clear ceramic coating two years ago and it hasn't aged at all. I had my powder coat guy do it, but after seeing the process I think you can do it yourself if careful. It goes on with a detail gun and air dries. It seems to be very tough and is good to 400 degrees.

By the way, the M 80 was a two owner VERY clean car. I stripped it to bare metal (no rust ever and only two minor bodywork places perfect floors and frame) and painted it single stage white. I also added a 6000 mile 2006 GTO LS2 and transmission, ECU and etc. 1.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015

I refinished the aluminum trim in my 1980 M 80. Did not like the idea of polishing the trim regularly. I had it coated with Cerakote clear ceramic coating two years ago and it hasn't aged at all. I had my powder coat guy do it, but after seeing the process I think you can do it yourself if careful. It goes on with a detail gun and air dries. It seems to be very tough and is good to 400 degrees.

By the way, the M 80 was a two owner VERY clean car. I stripped it to bare metal (no rust ever and only two minor bodywork places perfect floors and frame) and painted it single stage white. I also added a 6000 mile 2006 GTO LS2 and transmission, ECU and etc. View attachment 141084
Interesting. Thanks

How do you cure the stuff?

Fred Pitz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 20, 2018
Swanzey, NH

By the way, the M 80 was a two owner VERY clean car. I stripped it to bare metal (no rust ever and only two minor bodywork places perfect floors and frame) and painted it single stage white. I also added a 6000 mile 2006 GTO LS2 and transmission, ECU and etc. View attachment 141084
That's the best part - IT AIR DRIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor