Aluminum hood question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could always completely remove the spring assembly and just use the hinges and use a prop rod until you find the appropriate springs. That's the setup with my fiberglass hood.

Unlimite Products sells a low tension spring to go with their fiberglass hoods, those may work. I had a Glasstek bolt-on on my Cutlassand the stocks springs actually bowed the hood when shut, the UP springs solved the problem. Probably the only UP product I'd run on my cars.

Couple things come to mind about this

First, the use of aluminum would not have been "random", GM would have had a very specific set of parameters that dictated the use of the lighter components...presumably for CAFE concerns. Will we ever know those parameters? Probably not. Either way, GM does not/did not do things by "random chance". Personal guess would be a combination of powertrain/vehicle gross weight/anticipated production numbers for a given combination.

Concerning the hood springs for aluminum or 'glas hoods...my thought is to reuse the existing spring, with less turns on it. Probably take a little trial and error, but should be doable with a little caution...and a large vise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor