And so the bad news :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanelco

Apprentice
May 9, 2007
you should do a regal t type/ gn/ turbo monte swap or an ls series motor, you can get a wrecked camaro or vette relatively cheap and you can do a six speed swap while your there!

transjak

n00b
Feb 2, 2008
Tennessee
Chevy crate engine

We have been into a number of Chevy crate engines. They are fine for mild steet crusing, but, the rods, timing set, retainers, locks are junk.
I'd spend a few bucks more to get a reliable engine.
:lol:

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
RITTER Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:05 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever you do don't waste your money on a remanufactured engine

what's wrong with a remanufactured engine?

Wolf001

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
I have bought a good 350 4 bolt main witk really lo milleage for 400$, look around old scrapyard, and you will have find some luck like me!

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
There are quite a few reputable engine remanufacturers out there, and most offer up some decent warranties- on that avenue they are a cost effective way to keep your old car running. There are also a lot of crappy engine remanufacturers to stay away from. Rule of thumb if you haven't heard of the name, I would be very careful. Am I not wrong in saying that if you pull an engine from a junkyard, get the block machined and replace the heads and internals, will you not have your own version of a remanufactured engine?

Many of the economy GM crate engines are made in Mexico, and although they are new engines they are not the greatest things made and at around $2k+ they really aren't "cheap," at least not in my world. You can take the gamble on getting a used engine from a yard, but as most of the original non-rebuilt engines used in G bodies are getting up there in age, this can be a big waste of time in labor (be it yours or someone else's) in swapping out the engine only to have a bunch of problems such as fluid leaks from worn seals that you would not run in to with a rebuilt engine. Why waste the hours of labor and parts to swap the used engine in only to end up back at square one soon thereafter? Because the fact is with a used engine, unless you knew the owners and how it was driven or cared for, you just don't know a damned thing about its actual condition.

So... IMHO to keep your G body going at a reasonable cost a good name remanufactured engine is definitely something worth considering. I replaced the Chevy 305 in my old '85 Parisienne with a 4 bolt main 350 long block remanufactured by Advance being able to re-use most of the 305 components for about $850. The engine came with a one year warranty, and I ran it for 40k miles over 3 years and then sold the car for $1200. The engine was dead nuts relaible and trouble free.

-UT-

74hotrodmalibu

Apprentice
Mar 28, 2008
megaladon6 said:
it depends on what you want to spend and what you want. i'd go to the junkyard and get a 4-bolt main chevy 350, and do a complete rebuild. somewhere around '85 they switched to a stock roller cam, but the early '70 truck motors could be much stronger.
or you can get a crate motor from GM with a warranty.
thats what i am putting my car is --------- > 77 1/2 ton 350 4 bolt main, paid 50 bucks carb to pan complete

85montess

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2007
CT
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor