Another Blazer brake question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was wondering, is there a better master cylinder to use that would be more compatible with using the dual piston Blazer brake upgrade?
I'm using the typical stock cast iron unit. I'm thinking of going with the RHD Blazer MC that Turna suggested.
Does the Blazer MC have a larger bore than the standard G-body master...and is there a noticeable difference in braking power?

The reason for the questions is because I feel like I'm not getting good brake clamping force. Someone enlighten me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, John.
Do you, or anyone find this master cylinder more efficient than the stock unit? I do like the screw on cap compared to the snap-on one.

screw on cap makes a huge difference

not to mention the master is just a better quality and better design

The squish might not all be buried in the master either.

My 2+2 had terrible breaks when i bought it. Bled brakes no help. Swapped my rears to disks and it was worse, swapped master to a bigger bore caprice thinking i needed more volume to the rear and it helped a bit but not what I wanted. It ended up the same as when I had the stock master and drum rears.

I swapped the front calipers to LS1 setup and reused the ls1 brake hoses that were with the salvage yard calipers and it totally eliminated the soft pedal. I doubt the factory G body front calipers were deflecting that much and assume the brake hoses had an affect.

Swapping the master is a good idea since that one is far better, but changing the brake hoses and calipers over to dual piston would probably be accompanied by new hoses which might also be a bigger help.

Reactions: Longroof79
The squish might not all be buried in the master either.

My 2+2 had terrible breaks when i bought it. Bled brakes no help. Swapped my rears to disks and it was worse, swapped master to a bigger bore caprice thinking i needed more volume to the rear and it helped a bit but not what I wanted. It ended up the same as when I had the stock master and drum rears.

I swapped the front calipers to LS1 setup and reused the ls1 brake hoses that were with the salvage yard calipers and it totally eliminated the soft pedal. I doubt the factory G body front calipers were deflecting that much and assume the brake hoses had an affect.

Swapping the master is a good idea since that one is far better, but changing the brake hoses and calipers over to dual piston would probably be accompanied by new hoses which might also be a bigger help.
Thanks for your input, Jacob.
Most of the masters that I've replaced over time were all reman'd units. I'm thinking with this one being a new AC-Delco unit made in the USA, it would be an an improvement. I am using the Russell braided hoses up front, but have yet to replace the rear hose, which I do have.
It does look like it's a bit rusty and I'm almost afraid to disturb it. I'll probably end up snapping the brake line. How difficult is it to replace the steel brake lines leading to the rear axle? It looks like it goes thru a few contortions.

I just did it

Its not that bad with reg steel

I did stainless on the malibu it was a pain in the *ss

the only issue you might have is the first bolt that holds the first line clamp closest to the proportioning valve

I just broke the line at that one pulled it out and then zip tied the new one to that one clamp with some rubber hose around it

Reactions: Longroof79
I was wondering, is there a better master cylinder to use that would be more compatible with using the dual piston Blazer brake upgrade?
I'm using the typical stock cast iron unit. I'm thinking of going with the RHD Blazer MC that Turner suggested.
Does the Blazer MC have a larger bore than the standard G-body master...and is there a noticeable difference in braking power?

The reason for the questions is because I feel like I'm not getting good brake clamping force. Someone enlighten me.
Duralast part number 3068NM is what I have. even with stock brake lines the pedal feel is amazing. check out this video for more detail.

Gbody front disc upgrade

I just did it

Its not that bad with reg steel

I did stainless on the malibu it was a pain in the *ss

the only issue you might have is the first bolt that holds the first line clamp closest to the proportioning valve

I just broke the line at that one pulled it out and then zip tied the new one to that one clamp with some rubber hose around it
Thanks John.
Of course it's easier to replace lines with the body off, but I'm not ready to that now. If i have any other questions or concerns, I'll pick your brain. 😉

Duralast part number 3068NM is what I have. even with stock brake lines the pedal feel is amazing. check out this video for more detail.

Gbody front disc upgrade
Thanks man, I appreciate it...and will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor