Antenna conversion

mashud46

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2023
Anybody here went to a standard mount antenna instead of the power antenna? 84 hurst and I’d rather run a short fixed antenna than the power retracting one.

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
I have a standard mount on my elcamino, but I'm either going to weld the hole up and go with a hidden antenna or the one in the windshield. I'm going to go with a bluetooth receiver to hook up to my phone, so reception isn't going to be a huge deal for me.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I had the antenna in the windshield. When I replace the windshield I went with one that sticks on the new windshield behind the mirror. It works great but I live in Phoenix so reception isn’t an issue.

Reactions: 1 user

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
I think you want antenna off 80 to early 90s truck one put on thin finder top and having 2 extra screws and bracket fits to inside edge of fender were yhe 2 screws help stabilize the whole assembly were it goes through the narrow part of fender top ,youl have to make a pattern to get the 2 screws to jive out with steel brace .of course you can use an antenna without the brace but any ways I got one to do mine that way .I think they have the stubbie amplified antennas for retro fitting say on e bay .I seen an antenna shaped like a large rifle carbine shell this week ,i didn't ask what was it amplified or worked with only certain radios.untill you get one installed I have previously used just any generic antenna layed on the dash pad just behind windsheild temporarily even even.. a. Old subaru has an Antenna that goes into the windsheild pillar 3rd option..then there's the motorized antennas probably utilized on the rear fender top.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Any antenna NOT mounted on the fender would require bodywork to fix the hole. Might as well use it to properly install a non-power antenna setup.

Another option is to get a windshield antenna setup. You'd have to set it up like the older cars with the connector in the center of the cowl, etc., but it can be done. I've never liked them as they're not that great, IMO, but it's just an option.

The windshield.

And the cable.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Any antenna NOT mounted on the fender would require bodywork to fix the hole. Might as well use it to properly install a non-power antenna setup.

Another option is to get a windshield antenna setup. You'd have to set it up like the older cars with the connector in the center of the cowl, etc., but it can be done. I've never liked them as they're not that great, IMO, but it's just an option.

The windshield.

And the cable.
Not sure of the '78 to '81 non windshield antenna cars but '82 up car would need to have the finish work of drilling the hole on the inner panel of the cowl to allow the cable to pass through. Everything is marked for this.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not sure of the '78 to '81 non windshield antenna cars but '82 up car would need to have the finish work of drilling the hole on the inner panel of the cowl to allow the cable to pass through. Everything is marked for this.

Olds Cool was originally a non windshield antenna car and when I converted it to windshield antenna, the hole and even the bulkhead connector were already there. All I had to do was plug the antenna in on the outside, and the radio in on the inside.

Easiest mod ever.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor