Any interest in a 3800 series 2 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I think it would be an interesting build. Aren't those transverse mounted engines? I could see a 3800 from a 4th gen camaro/firebird working easier since the engine layout is already a rear drive.

If you can make a front drive 3800 work that would be interesting.

My brother had the 3800 v6 camaro with the factory 5 speed and it was torquey. He was going to do a turbo swap since it's been done in those engines before.

Good luck with your build.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I think it would be an interesting build. Aren't those transverse mounted engines? I could see a 3800 from a 4th gen camaro/firebird working easier since the engine layout is already a rear drive.

If you can make a front drive 3800 work that would be interesting.

My brother had the 3800 v6 camaro with the factory 5 speed and it was torquey. He was going to do a turbo swap since it's been done in those engines before.

Good luck with your build.
The block and heads are all the same for a series two. Don't matter if it is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. You have to have intake, exaust manifolds,oil pan, and transmition from a Comaro to make it work. The supercharged engines have lower compression and injectors in the heads insted of in the intake manifold.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
The block and heads are all the same for a series two. Don't matter if it is front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. You have to have intake, exaust manifolds,oil pan, and transmition from a Comaro to make it work. The supercharged engines have lower compression and injectors in the heads insted of in the intake manifold.

That's petty cool. I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. Nice thing is you can source all factory parts which is nice.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
A little more information on 3800 series 2. It is a 90° v6 3.8 with a 60° bell housing bolt pattern. The engine share nothing with older 3.8, or series 1engines. The first front wheel drive 3.8 in 88 were the same block as a Grand National. 90° bell housing. The 3800 series 2 na engine are rated at 200 horsepower. The supercharged 3800 engine is rated at 230 horsepower. You can get up words of 300 horsepower out of a supercharged engine. Put a turbo on these engines and 400 horsepower is nothing. There are people getting 700+ horsepower out of them with a turbo.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
A little more information on 3800 series 2. It is a 90° v6 3.8 with a 60° bell housing bolt pattern. The engine share nothing with older 3.8, or series 1engines. The first front wheel drive 3.8 in 88 were the same block as a Grand National. 90° bell housing. The 3800 series 2 na engine are rated at 200 horsepower. The supercharged 3800 engine is rated at 230 horsepower. You can get up words of 300 horsepower out of a supercharged engine. Put a turbo on these engines and 400 horsepower is nothing. There are people getting 700+ horsepower out of them with a turbo.

I was alway playing with the idea this swap also. I did a EFI and head swap into a Cutlass I had years back. I used a '85 FWD intake which is basically a Grand National intake. I loved the increased torque the EFI gave the carb'd 3.8. Series 2 blocks are plentiful in salvage yards.
Not much else from the FWD 3.8 were the same as the GN except the internals. The RWD block was too wide at the bell housing to fit in a FWD car. The last RWD blocks were used in the '89 Turbo Trans Am, using FWD heads to fit the F body. (Which also was the fastest production version of the 3.8. 150+ mph)
The over the counter Stage 2 block was the strongest, with power levels at over 1000 hp in competition trim.

I'm standing with you. A 3800 Series 2 Gbody would be killer!
T

Reactions: 1 user

cincy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2016
If you get a 3.8 engine from a late model f body (96-02) you dont need to bother with custom mounts or adapters, and those make more power from the factory than say, a 3800 from a park avenue. Get a supercharger from a rivera or something and youre in business. Those engines have tons of low end power and can easily put out 300 hp

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have all the parts to make it work. I will have to build a engine harnesses and have one of my computer boxes reprogramed to run the engine and trany. Probably have to do some fab work to get motor and trany mounts to work. When I decide to turbo it, headers and piping will all have to be custom made. That will be the hardest part. The questions I still have are. How will it run na with a turbo cam? What fuel pump to run? What size fuel line to run? Can the factory roller lifters be reused with new cam?

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
On a lot of applications factory roller lifters can be used on aftermarket cams. Check with the cam manufacturer to be sure.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah you can use the factory lifters on a new cam. I had 170k is on my l67 when i went to a bigger cam. Got like 15-20k on now and runs good.

I think you will be able to take a front FWD manifold and flip it and run on one of the sides, if you can get it under and around the back of the engine and up you could mount it just like a GN with a custom passenger manifold.

It will run fine with a mild/moderate turbo cam, they dont have big overlap so boost doesn't bleed off, so it will run good.

Most people know here but I have an L67 swap in my 97 firebird. Ran a best of 12.90's on so-so 60ft. On a good 60 which the car has run it should be 12.70. I get 25mpg going 73 on the interstate with the AC on and drive the car over the winter on snow tires.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I don't remember if the stock Comaro manifolds or pace setter headers can be flipped. I'm thinking not or some would have done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor